[BOAI] Re: word origin of "green" and "gold"

From: Jean-Claude =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gu=E9don?= <jean.claude.guedon AT>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 08:50:16 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] word origin of "green" and "gold" from ssugita AT
      • This Message

From memory:

1. The terms Green and Gold appeared shortly after BOAI.

2. Stevan Harnad invented these terms.

3. I should let Stevan clarify this, but, again from memory, Green
origin ally meant self-archiving, and Gold meant journals offering open
access to their content.

Then allkinds of things happened that did not simplify matters... :-)

Jean-Claude Guédon

Le vendredi 19 avril 2013 à 12:59 +0900, Shigeki Sugita a écrit :

> Dear BOAI 2002 vanguards,
> Someone please teach me about the original meanings or implications of
"green" and "gold" at the time of the first BOAI
recommendation. Why was self-archving named as "green" and OA
journals as "gold"?
> green: green light? "RoMEO-green"?
> gold: highest grade? (like "Gold Medal")
> Best wishes,

Jean-Claude Guédon
Professeur titulaire
Littérature comparée
Université de Montréal

-- To unsubscribe from the BOAI Forum, use the form on this page: