[BOAI] Fwd: [berkmanfriends] Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) Launches Today

From: Carolina <carolina.rossini AT gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 19:12:33 -0400

--Apple-Mail-CEA392A3-DF32-4426-B9C9-41763B7D19C1

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Kenny Whitebloom <kwhitebloom AT cyber.law.harvard.edu>
> Date: April 18, 2013, 12:25:57 PM EDT
> To: Berkman Friends <berkmanfriends AT eon.law.harvard.edu>
> Subject: [berkmanfriends] Digital Public Library of America (DPLA)
Launche=
s Today
>=20
> Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) Launches Today
>=20
> April 18, 2013
>=20
> The Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) launched a beta of its
discov=
ery portal and open platform today. The portal delivers millions of material=
s found in American archives, libraries, museums, and cultural heritage inst=
itutions to students, teachers, scholars, and the public. Far more than a se=
arch engine, the portal provides innovative ways to search and scan through i=
ts united collection of distributed resources. Special features include a dy=
namic map, a timeline that allow users to visually browse by year or decade,=
 and an app library that provides access to applications and tools created b=
y external developers using DPLA=E2=80=99s open data.
>=20
> =E2=80=9CThe wonder and joy of entering an expansive library for the
first=
 time is truly a special feeling. We are delighted to be able to share this u=
nified, open collection with Americans and the world, and can=E2=80=99t wait=
 to see what people discover, and what new applications and knowledge will b=
e created,=E2=80=9D said Dan Cohen, Executive Director of the DPLA.
>=20
> "Many decades in the visioning, two and a half years in the
planning, w=
ith a small steering committee and an incubation hub at the helm, and featur=
ing dozens of great libraries, universities and archives involved in hundred=
s of meetings, workshops, plenary meetings, and hackathons, attracting thous=
ands of volunteers backed by millions of foundation and government dollars, t=
oday the Digital Public Library of America goes live! It's a great day for e=
ducation and progress, as if the Ancient Library of Alexandria had met the m=
odern World Wide Web and digitized America for the benefit of all," said
Dor=
on Weber, Vice Chair of the DPLA Steering Committee and Vice President, Prog=
rams at the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, a major, active funder of the projec=
t.=20
>=20
> The DPLA portal is powered by a rich repository of information, known as
t=
he DPLA platform, which enables new and transformative uses of America=E2=80=
=99s digitized cultural heritage. With an application programming interface (=
API) and maximally open data, the DPLA can be used by software developers, r=
esearchers, and others to create novel environments for learning, tools for d=
iscovery, and engaging apps. The DPLA App Library (dp.la/apps) features an i=
nitial slate of applications built on top of the platform; developers and ho=
bbyists of all skill levels are freely able to make use of the data provided=
 via the platform.
>=20
> "The DPLA launches virtually today, a symbol of what people can
accomplish=
 through collaboration in a networked era," said John Palfrey, President
of t=
he Board of Directors of the DPLA.  "The most exciting idea is that we
canno=
t begin to imagine the extraordinary things that librarians and their many p=
artners can accomplish with this open platform and such extraordinarily rich=
 materials, from so many institutions large and small, together and at the r=
eady.  We will create new knowledge together and make accessible, free to al=
l, information that people need in order to thrive in a democracy."
>=20
>  =E2=80=9CThe DPLA=E2=80=99s goal is to bring the entire nation=E2=80=99s
r=
ich cultural     collections off the shelves and into the innovative environ=
ment of the Internet for people to discover, download, remix, reuse and buil=
d on in ways we haven=E2=80=99t yet begun to imagine,=E2=80=9D said Maura Ma=
rx, Director of the DPLA Secretariat. =E2=80=9CRegular users can search in t=
he traditional way using the portal, and developers and innovators can build=
 on big chunks of code and content using the platform=E2=80=94we=E2=80=99re c=
reating access, not controlling it.=E2=80=9D
>=20
> Led by Cohen, the DPLA aims to expand the realm of openly available
materi=
als, and make those riches more easily discovered and more widely usable and=
 used. To date, the DPLA has partnered with six state and regional digital l=
ibraries and an equal number of large cultural heritage institutions=E2=80=94=
 including the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), the Smit=
hsonian Institution, the New York Public Library, and Harvard University=E2=80=
=94to provide access to millions of unique digital objects.
>=20
> =E2=80=9CAmong the 2.4 million records available at launch, you will find
g=
ems that include daguerreotypes of former Presidents George Washington and A=
braham Lincoln, images of women marching for the vote in Kentucky, news film=
 clips of the Freedom Riders during the Civil Rights movement, The Book of H=
ours, an illuminated manuscript from 1514, Notes on the State of Virginia, w=
ritten by Thomas Jefferson, and paintings by Winslow Homer,=E2=80=9D said Em=
ily Gore, DPLA Director for Content. =20
>=20
> With its content partners, the DPLA has developed a number of diverse
virt=
ual exhibitions (dp.la/exhibitions) that tell the stories of people, places,=
 and historical events both here in the US and abroad; all are available fre=
ely via the portal. A History of Survivance: 19th c. Upper Midwest Native Am=
erican Resources in the DPLA, developed by the Minnesota Digital Library, te=
lls the story of extraordinary cultural disruption, change and continuity in=
 Minnesota and the surrounding areas during the 19th century through objects=
 of both Native and non-Native origin. Other exhibitions include Boston Spor=
ts Temples, developed by Digital Commonwealth (Massachusetts), which celebra=
tes the rich histories of Boston=E2=80=99s professional stadiums and arenas;=
 and This Land Is Your Land: Parks and Public Spaces, an exploration of the h=
istory, impact, and significance of our national parks and protected areas c=
urated by the South Carolina Digital Library.
>=20
> =E2=80=9CThe project unleashes access to a volume and variety of
historica=
l and cultural assets through a dynamic, digitized information platform,=E2=80=
=9D said Jorge Martinez, Vice President and Chief Technology Officer at the K=
night Foundation. =E2=80=9CIt offers an invaluable opportunity to reanimate t=
his information and further strengthen the roles of libraries as centers for=
 engagement=E2=80=94bringing communities together, fostering deeper understa=
nding and connecting people with     traditional culture=E2=80=94by leveragi=
ng the power of new technology.=E2=80=9D
>=20
> The DPLA began in October 2010 with a small meeting of representatives
fro=
m foundations, research institutions, cultural organizations, government, an=
d libraries who came together to discuss best approaches to building a natio=
nal digital library.  In 2011, the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at
H=
arvard University established, with the support of Alfred P. Sloan Foundatio=
n, a two-year planning initiative to guide the conceptualization, planning, a=
nd development of the DPLA.=20
>=20
> Today=E2=80=99s launch is, in large part, the culmination of that effort,
m=
arking the transition from a two-year planning initiative towards a fully re=
alized, standalone 501(c)3 non-profit organization that will continue to mak=
e the riches of America=E2=80=99s libraries, archives, and museums freely av=
ailable to the world.
>=20
> A series of festivities to celebrate the launch, scheduled to occur at
the=
 Boston Public Library today and tomorrow, were postponed until the fall in t=
he wake of the April 15 Boston Marathon tragedy, which occurred near the sto=
ried public library.
>=20
> =E2=80=9CI see the building of a new library as one of the greatest
exampl=
es of what humans can do together to extend the light against the darkness,=E2=
=80=9D said Dan Cohen, reflecting on the recent events in a letter to the DP=
LA community. =E2=80=9CIn due time, we will let that light shine through.=E2=
=80=9D
>=20
> About the Digital Public Library of America
> The Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) brings together the riches
of=
 America=E2=80=99s libraries, archives, and museums, and makes them freely a=
vailable to the world. It strives to contain the full breadth of human expre=
ssion, from the written word, to works of art and culture, to records of Ame=
rica=E2=80=99s heritage, to the efforts and data of science. The DPLA aims t=
o expand this crucial realm of openly available materials, and make those ri=
ches more easily discovered and more widely usable and used.
>=20
> The DPLA is supported by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the Arcadia
Fund,=
 the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the John S. and James L. Knig=
ht Foundation, and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
>=20
> More information is online at http://dp.la.
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/lists/review/berkmanfri=
ends
>=20
> Reminder: emails sent through this list are considered on-record unless
> otherwise noted.
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-CEA392A3-DF32-4426-B9C9-41763B7D19C1

content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"></head><body
iPhone</div><div>=
type=3D"cite"><div><b>=
From:</b> Kenny Whitebloom &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kwhitebloom
AT cyber.law.harva=
rd.edu">kwhitebloom AT
18, 2=
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ber=
kmanfriends AT eon.law.harvard.edu">berkmanfriends AT
eon.law.harvard.edu</a>&gt;<=
Library of America (DP=
LA) Launches
div>
 =20

charset=3DISO-88=
59-1">
 =20
 =20
    <h3>Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) Launches
Today</h3>
    The Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) <a
href=3D"http://dp.la/">l=
aunched a beta of its discovery portal</a>
    and open platform today. The portal delivers millions of materials
    found in American archives, libraries, museums, and cultural
    heritage institutions to students, teachers, scholars, and the
    public. Far more than a search engine, the portal provides
    innovative ways to search and scan through its united collection of
    distributed resources. Special features include a dynamic map, a
    timeline that allow users to visually browse by year or decade, and
    an app library that provides access to applications and tools
    created by external developers using DPLA=E2=80=99s open data.<br>
    =E2=80=9CThe wonder and joy of entering an expansive library for the fir=
st
    time is truly a special feeling. We are delighted to be able to
    share this unified, open collection with Americans and the world,
    and can=E2=80=99t wait to see what people discover, and what new
    applications and knowledge will be created,=E2=80=9D said Dan Cohen,
    Executive Director of the DPLA.<br>
    "Many decades in the visioning, two and a half years in the
    planning, with a small steering committee and an incubation hub at
    the helm, and featuring dozens of great libraries, universities and
    archives involved in hundreds of meetings, workshops, plenary
    meetings, and hackathons, attracting thousands of volunteers backed
    by millions of foundation and government dollars, today the Digital
    Public Library of America goes live! It's a great day for education
    and progress, as if the Ancient Library of Alexandria had met the
    modern World Wide Web and digitized America for the benefit of all,"
    said Doron Weber, Vice Chair of the DPLA Steering Committee and Vice
    President, Programs at the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, a major,
    active funder of the project. <br>
    The DPLA portal is powered by a rich repository of information,
    known as the DPLA platform, which enables new and transformative
    uses of America=E2=80=99s digitized cultural heritage. With an applicati=
on
    programming interface (API) and maximally open data, the DPLA can be
    used by software developers, researchers, and others to create novel
    environments for learning, tools for discovery, and engaging apps.
    The DPLA App Library (<a
href=3D"http://dp.la/apps/">dp.la/apps</a>)
    features an initial slate of applications built on top of the
    platform; developers and hobbyists of all skill levels are freely
    able to make use of the data provided via the platform.<br>
    "The DPLA launches virtually today, a symbol of what people can
    accomplish through collaboration in a networked era," said John
    Palfrey, President of the Board of Directors of the DPLA.&nbsp;
"The mos=
    exciting idea is that we cannot begin to imagine the extraordinary
    things that librarians and their many partners can accomplish with
    this open platform and such extraordinarily rich materials, from so
    many institutions large and small, together and at the ready.&nbsp; We
    will create new knowledge together and make accessible, free to all,
    information that people need in order to thrive in a
democracy."<br>
    &nbsp;=E2=80=9CThe DPLA=E2=80=99s goal is to bring the entire
nation=E2=80=
=99s rich cultural
    collections off the shelves and into the innovative environment of
    the Internet for people to discover, download, remix, reuse and
    build on in ways we haven=E2=80=99t yet begun to imagine,=E2=80=9D said M=
aura Marx,
    Director of the DPLA Secretariat. =E2=80=9CRegular users can search in t=
he
    traditional way using the portal, and developers and innovators can
    build on big chunks of code and content using the platform=E2=80=94we=E2=
=80=99re
    creating access, not controlling it.=E2=80=9D<br>
    Led by Cohen, the DPLA aims to expand the realm of openly available
    materials, and make those riches more easily discovered and more
    widely usable and used. To date, the DPLA has partnered with six
    state and regional digital libraries and an equal number of large
    cultural heritage institutions=E2=80=94 including the National Archives a=
nd
    Records Administration (NARA), the Smithsonian Institution, the New
    York Public Library, and Harvard University=E2=80=94to provide access to=

    millions of unique digital objects.<br>
    =E2=80=9CAmong the 2.4 million records available at launch, you will fin=
    gems that include daguerreotypes of former Presidents George
    Washington and Abraham Lincoln, images of women marching for the
    vote in Kentucky, news film clips of the Freedom Riders during the
    Civil Rights movement, The Book of Hours, an illuminated manuscript
    from 1514, <i>Notes on the State of Virginia</i>, written by
Thomas
    Jefferson, and paintings by Winslow Homer,=E2=80=9D said Emily Gore, DPL=
    Director for Content. &nbsp;<br>
    With its content partners, the DPLA has developed a number of
    diverse virtual exhibitions (<a
href=3D"http://dp.la/exhibitions/">dp.la=
/exhibitions</a>)
    that tell the stories of people, places, and historical events both
    here in the US and abroad; all are available freely via the portal.
    <i>A History of Survivance: 19th c. Upper Midwest Native American
      Resources in the DPLA</i>, developed by the Minnesota Digital
    Library, tells the story of extraordinary cultural disruption,
    change and continuity in Minnesota and the surrounding areas during
    the 19th century through objects of both Native and non-Native
    origin. Other exhibitions include <i>Boston Sports Temples</i>,
    developed by Digital Commonwealth (Massachusetts), which celebrates
    the rich histories of Boston=E2=80=99s professional stadiums and arenas;=
 and
    <i>This Land Is Your Land: Parks and Public Spaces</i>, an
    exploration of the history, impact, and significance of our national
    parks and protected areas curated by the South Carolina Digital
    Library.<br>
    =E2=80=9CThe project unleashes access to a volume and variety of histori=
cal
    and cultural assets through a dynamic, digitized information
    platform,=E2=80=9D said Jorge Martinez, Vice President and Chief Technol=
ogy
    Officer at the Knight Foundation. =E2=80=9CIt offers an invaluable
    opportunity to reanimate this information and further strengthen the
    roles of libraries as centers for engagement=E2=80=94bringing communitie=
    together, fostering deeper understanding and connecting people with
    traditional culture=E2=80=94by leveraging the power of new technology.=E2=
=80=9D<br>
    The DPLA began in October 2010 with a small meeting of
    representatives from foundations, research institutions, cultural
    organizations, government, and libraries who came together to
    discuss best approaches to building a national digital library.&nbsp;
In=

    2011, the Berkman Center for Internet &amp; Society at Harvard
    University established, with the support of Alfred P. Sloan
    Foundation, a two-year planning initiative to guide the
    conceptualization, planning, and development of the DPLA. <br>
    Today=E2=80=99s launch is, in large part, the culmination of that effort=
,
    marking the transition from a two-year planning initiative towards a
    fully realized, standalone 501(c)3 non-profit organization that will
    continue to make the riches of America=E2=80=99s libraries, archives, an=
    museums freely available to the world.<br>
    A series of festivities to celebrate the launch, scheduled to occur
    at the Boston Public Library today and tomorrow, were postponed
    until the fall in the wake of the April 15 Boston Marathon tragedy,
    which occurred near the storied public library.<br>
    =E2=80=9CI see the building of a new library as one of the greatest exam=
ples
    of what humans can do together to extend the light against the
    darkness,=E2=80=9D said Dan Cohen, reflecting on the recent events in a
<=
href=3D"http://dp.la/info/2013/04/16/a-message-from-executive-director-dan=
-cohen/">letter
      to the DPLA community</a>. =E2=80=9CIn due time, we will let that
ligh=
    shine through.=E2=80=9D<br>
    The Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) brings together the
    riches of America=E2=80=99s libraries, archives, and museums, and makes t=
hem
    freely available to the world. It strives to contain the full
    breadth of human expression, from the written word, to works of art
    and culture, to records of America=E2=80=99s heritage, to the efforts an=
    data of science. The DPLA aims to expand this crucial realm of
    openly available materials, and make those riches more easily
    discovered and more widely usable and used.<br>
    The DPLA is supported by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the Arcadia
    Fund, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the John S. and
    James L. Knight Foundation, and the National Endowment for the
    Humanities.<br>
    More information is online at <a
href=3D"http://dp.la">http://dp.la</a>.=

 =20

list.</span><br><=
href=3D"http://cyber.law.harv=
ard.edu/lists/info/berkmanfriends">http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/lists/info/b=
ber.law.harvard.edu/lists/review/berkmanfriends">http://cyber.law.harvard.ed=
 emails sent through this list are considered on-record
unless</span><br><sp=
an>otherwise
kquote></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-CEA392A3-DF32-4426-B9C9-41763B7D19C1--