[BOAI] Re: =?windows-1252?q?SHERPA/FACT_=96_BETA_Release_Now_Available?=

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum AT gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 08:52:14 -0400

--047d7b6228f8e8bef704d9603405

I just want to register my regret and dismay that SHERPA is yet again
slavishly following and echoing all noise in the air, instead of
reflecting, and doing something to lead the way to OA rather than just
cranking up the volume of the ambient buzz.

For years SHERPA/ROMEO has been slavishly amplifying publishers' every whim
instead of just cataloguing the essential points of publisher policy: *Do
they endorse immediate Green OA to the peer-reviewed version? and if not,
how long do they propose to embargo it?*

Instead, SHERPA faithfully parrots every nuance of FUD and double-talk that
publishers dream up -- I await a solemn stipulation that the author may
only provide OA on Tuesdays, and only if they have a blue-eyed maternal
uncle -- leaving users in a wash of useless detail and confusion.

Now this same indiscriminate parroting of arbitrariness and nonsense on the
part of the RCUK OA policy has been given a megaphone in SHERPA/FACT.

Instead of leaving RCUK to work out a coherent policy, SHERPA/FACT takes
the tentative vagaries of the RCUK policy-makers and canonizes them as if
they made sense and were ready to be etched in Mosaic tablets of stone for
UK (and worldwide!) researchers to revere and obey.

Instead of agonizing over what journal they may or may not publish in, in
order to comply with RCUK requirements, by working their way through the
maze of SHERPA/FACT contingencies, RCUK authors would be best to *publish
in whatever journal they wish and deposit their refereed final drafts in
their institutional repositories immediately upon acceptance for publicatio=
* (as HEFCE/REF requires).

Sensible authors should make their deposits OA immediately. Cautious or
timid authors can look up the length of their publisher's embargo on OA (if
any) and set access to the deposit to be made OA when the embargo has
elapsed. All authors can be confident that RCUK will not be monitoring or
"enforcing" embargo lengths for years to come, whilst the RCUK policy
is
being "re-evaluated."

And that's the only information SHERPA/FACT ought to be providing, apart
from links to either the publisher's website or RCUK's website, so curious
authors can see their respective caprices at first hand.

As to the rest of the new RCUK policy -- the part that both publishers and
RCUK/Wellcome are really interested in namely, *how the Gold subsidy is to
be administered and disbursed* -- nolo contendere, but the less said, the
better: Once you've deposited your final draft in your institutional
repository, forget about the Gold subsidy unless your chosen journal
happens to be Gold.

Stevan Harnad

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Azhar Hussain <
Azhar.Hussain AT nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> **Apologies for cross-posting**
>
> Joint Press Release: Centre for Research Communications, Wellcome Trust,
> and RCUK
>
> SHERPA/FACT =96 BETA Release Now Available
>
> To coincide with the RCUK=92s new OA policy and Wellcome Trust policy
> changes, the Centre for Research Communications (CRC) is pleased to
> announce the availability of SHERPA Funders=92 & Authors=92 Compliance
To=
ol
> (SHERPA/FACT) Beta. The beta release of SHERPA/FACT interprets data from
> SHERPA/RoMEO, JULIET and other sources to provide clear guidance to RCUK
> and Wellcome Trust funded authors on compliance with their Open Access (O=
A)
> [...]
> against existing data held by SHERPA/RoMEO, JULIET and other third party
> sources. However, information in this area is dynamic and many publishers
> are currently updating, changing and clarifying their policies in respons=
> to the launch of the RCUK and Wellcome Trust policies.
>
> As updated policy information becomes available from publishers,
> SHERPA/FACT will be updated accordingly. We are aware of a number of
> changes due to be released soon =96 indeed, FACT may even prompt further
> clarifications to be made. FACT beta will, over the coming weeks, undergo
> continuous improvements to the information it holds.
>
> Please use SHERPA/FACT beta for evaluation purposes and report any
> information that needs updating and any other comments to
> fact AT sherpa.ac.uk.
>
> Bill Hubbard, Director of the CRC, said: "For more Open Access
research
> from the RCUK and Wellcome Trust to be made available to everyone,
> researchers need clear guidance about whether their chosen journal compli=
es
> with their funder's policy. SHERPA/FACT will give them a clear answer, he=
lp
> raise an institution's rate of compliance and ultimately help more resear=
ch
> to be made available to us all."
>
> Robert Kiley, Head of Digital Services at the Wellcome Trust, said:
> =94Providing clear guidance to our researchers will help to ensure they c=
an
> comply with the Trust=92s Open Access mandate.=94
>
> Mark Thorley, chair of Research Councils UK Research Outputs Network,
> said: =93The launch of this beta version of SHERPA FACT is part of our
> strategy of providing a range of resources to support implementation of t=
he
> new RCUK Policy on Open Access=94.
>
> Further information
>
> Contact
> Azhar Hussain
> Tel: 0115 8467235 or email: azhar.hussain AT nottingham.ac.uk

> may contain confidential information. If you have received this message i=
> error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do
> not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in
> any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this
> email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingha=
m.

> This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachme=
nt

> may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer syste=
m:

--047d7b6228f8e8bef704d9603405

that SHERPA i=
s yet again slavishly following and echoing all noise in the air, instead o=
f reflecting, and doing something to lead the way to OA rather than just cr=
anking up the volume of the ambient buzz.<div>
amplifying publish=
ers&#39; every whim instead of just cataloguing the essential points of
pub=
lisher policy: <i>Do they endorse immediate Green OA to the peer-reviewed
v=
ersion? and if not, how long do they propose to embargo
it?</i>=A0</div>
every nuance of FUD =
and double-talk that publishers dream up -- I await a solemn stipulation th=
at the author may only provide OA on Tuesdays, and only if they have a blue=
-eyed maternal uncle -- leaving users in a wash of useless detail and confu=
sion.</div>
parroting of arbitrariness=
 and nonsense on the part of the RCUK OA policy has been given a megaphone =
in
of leaving RCUK to work=
 out a coherent policy, SHERPA/FACT takes the tentative vagaries of the RCU=
K policy-makers and canonizes them as if they made sense and were ready to =
be etched in Mosaic tablets of stone for UK (and worldwide!) researchers to=
 revere and obey.</div>
journal they may or may =
not publish in, in order to comply with RCUK requirements, by working their=
 way through the maze of SHERPA/FACT contingencies, RCUK authors would be b=
est to <i>publish in whatever journal they wish and deposit their
refereed =
final drafts in their institutional repositories immediately upon acceptanc=
e for publication</i> (as HEFCE/REF requires).=A0</div>
deposits OA immediat=
ely. Cautious or timid authors can look up the length of their
publisher&#3=
9;s embargo on OA (if any) and set access to the deposit to be made OA when=
 the embargo has elapsed. All authors can be confident that RCUK will not b=
e monitoring or &quot;enforcing&quot; embargo lengths for years to
come, wh=
ilst the RCUK policy is being &quot;re-evaluated.&quot;</div>
information SHERPA/FACT ought t=
o be providing, apart from links to either the publisher&#39;s website or
R=
CUK&#39;s website, so curious authors can see their respective caprices at
=
first hand.</div>
RCUK policy -- the part=
 that both publishers and RCUK/Wellcome are really interested in namely, <i=
>how the Gold subsidy is to be administered and disbursed</i> -- nolo
conte=
ndere, but the less said, the better: Once you&#39;ve deposited your final
=
draft in your institutional repository, forget about the Gold subsidy unles=
s your chosen journal happens to be Gold.</div>
mail_extra"><br><br><div
class=3D"gmail_quote">On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:44 =
AM, Azhar Hussain <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a
href=3D"mailto:Azhar.Hussain AT not=
tingham.ac.uk" target=3D"_blank">Azhar.Hussain AT
nottingham.ac.uk</a>&gt;</sp=
an> wrote:<br>
.8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">**Apologies for
cross-posting**<br>
Joint Press Release: Centre for Research Communications, Wellcome Trust, an=
d RCUK<br>
SHERPA/FACT =96 BETA Release Now Available<br>
To coincide with the RCUK=92s new OA policy and Wellcome Trust policy chang=
es, the Centre for Research Communications (CRC) is pleased to announce the=
 availability of SHERPA Funders=92 &amp; Authors=92 Compliance Tool
(SHERPA=
/FACT) Beta. The beta release of SHERPA/FACT interprets data from SHERPA/Ro=
MEO, JULIET and other sources to provide clear guidance to RCUK and Wellcom=
e Trust funded authors on compliance with their Open Access (OA) policies a=
nd advises on the options available.<br>

SHERPA/FACT Beta:<br>
=95 =A0 =A0 =A0 Asks authors to select which of the RCUK Councils or Wellco=
me Trust has funded their work.<br>
=95 =A0 =A0 =A0 Asks authors to enter the journal name or ISSN of the journ=
al they wish to use.<br>
=95 =A0 =A0 =A0 Cross-references the information held in RoMEO and in JULIE=
T on both Funders&#39; and Publishers&#39; policies.<br>
=95 =A0 =A0 =A0 Gives the author clear information as to whether that journ=
al offers publication or archiving rights compliant with their
funders&#39;=
 policy.<br>
=95 =A0 =A0 =A0 Notes the level of OA fee payable, if any, and if available=
 from the publisher site.<br>
=95 =A0 =A0 =A0 Gives guidance to the author as to what action to take next=
 to comply with their funders&#39; policy, customising guidance according
t=
o the stage of the author&#39;s publication - accepted, published,
etc.<br>
For more information and to use SHERPA/FACT beta, please visit <a
href=3D"h=
ttp://www.sherpa.ac.uk/fact"
target=3D"_blank">www.sherpa.ac.uk/fact</a><br=

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a beta version and has been tested for accuracy aga=
inst existing data held by SHERPA/RoMEO, JULIET and other third party sourc=
es. However, information in this area is dynamic and many publishers are cu=
rrently updating, changing and clarifying their policies in response to the=
 launch of the RCUK and Wellcome Trust policies.<br>

As updated policy information becomes available from publishers, SHERPA/FAC=
T will be updated accordingly. We are aware of a number of changes due to b=
e released soon =96 indeed, FACT may even prompt further clarifications to =
be made. FACT beta will, over the coming weeks, undergo continuous improvem=
ents to the information it holds.<br>

Please use SHERPA/FACT beta for evaluation purposes and report any informat=
ion that needs updating and any other comments to <a
href=3D"mailto:fact AT sh=
erpa.ac.uk">fact AT sherpa.ac.uk</a>.<br>
Bill Hubbard, Director of the CRC, said: &quot;For more Open Access
researc=
h from the RCUK and Wellcome Trust to be made available to everyone, resear=
chers need clear guidance about whether their chosen journal complies with =
their funder&#39;s policy. SHERPA/FACT will give them a clear answer, help
=
raise an institution&#39;s rate of compliance and ultimately help more
rese=
arch to be made available to us all.&quot;<br>

Robert Kiley, Head of Digital Services at the Wellcome Trust, said: =94Prov=
iding clear guidance to our researchers will help to ensure they can comply=
 with the Trust=92s Open Access mandate.=94<br>
Mark Thorley, chair of Research Councils UK Research Outputs Network, said:=
 =93The launch of this beta version of SHERPA FACT is part of our strategy =
of providing a range of resources to support implementation of the new RCUK=
 Policy on Open Access=94.<br>

Further information<br>
Contact<br>
Azhar Hussain<br>
Tel: 0115 8467235 or email: <a href=3D"mailto:azhar.hussain AT
nottingham.ac.u=
k">azhar.hussain AT nottingham.ac.uk</a><br>
This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and m=
ay contain confidential information. If you have received this message in e=
rror, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it. =A0 Please do n=
ot use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in an=
y attachment. =A0Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this emai=
l do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of
Nottingham.<br>

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment=
may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system:=
you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the<b=
r>
University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.<b=
r>

--047d7b6228f8e8bef704d9603405--