[BOAI] Re: Harnad Comments on Proposed HEFCE/REF Green Open Access Mandate

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:54:46 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] Harnad Comments on Proposed HEFCE/REF Green Open Access Mandate from amsciforum AT gmail.com
      • This Message

An immediate-deposit mandate moots most of this discussion. Versions and rights
need
not be checked if the mandate simply says:

"Deposit the refereed draft immediately, and make it Closed Access."

So all this discussion is about what *else* you can do, and when.

Here's a list:

1. A sensible author will make the immediate-deposit OA immediately, just as
physicists
have been successfully doing for decades with no problems.

2. A cautious author will look up the publsher's embargo policy as well as the
funder's
embargo limit, and make the immediate-deposit OA at whichever date comes first.

3. A timid author will look up the publsher's embargo policy and make the
immediate-deposit OA at whatever date the publisher indicates.

4. A foolish author will simply make the immediate-deposit and leave it as
Closed Access (attending to reprint requests generated by the request copy
Button
on an individual case by case basis).

The speed with which we reach 100% Green OA and beyond depends on the relative
proportion of foolish, timid, cautious and sensible authors.

But please, while we keep speculating, let us all mandate immediate-deposit.

I don't mean just:

"Deposit the refereed draft immediately, and make it Closed Access."

Improve on that in any way you like:

"and make it OA immediately"

"and make it OA immediately or after X months at the latest"

But in any case, deposit immediately!

Stevan Harnad

On 2013-03-21, at 9:40 AM, Hans PfeiffenbergAer <hans.pfeiffenberger AT
awi.de> wrote:

> Am 21.03.13 10:35, schrieb Tim Brody:
>> By comparison, taking a copy is little extra effort and the
institution
>> can say unambiguously that they have an open access copy.
> wrong: if somebody uploads a PDF the institution
>
> - may have a copy if the identity of the file submitted or its equivalence
with the version of record can be established

> - may have an OA copy. But to establish that, someone at the institution
(the library?) must  check the copyright notice in it (if any) and possibly
consult with the authors about his/her contract with the publisher (because,
legally, something found on the web pages of the publisher or ROMEO does not
count), ...

> I just insisted on bean counting because it was done to the other side as
well. I think this could go on indefinitely and should therefore be stopped.

> Seen from a non-British perspective, the discussion has morphed from being
about Open Access to a discussion about controlling of science. And setting up
of mandates and policies which are the least costly to enforce. Cost to the
admin dept., of course! Where the library, if involved in this, may morph into
a branch of admin.