[GOAL] Fwd: [BOAI] Who is afraid of open access ?

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 07:30:02 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] Who is afraid of open access ? from marin.dacos AT openedition.org
      • This Message

Begin forwarded message:

http://www.lemonde.fr/sciences/article/2013/03/15/qui-a-peur-de-l-open-acces_1848930_1650684.html

> More than 1500 people already signed this statement, calling for
> open access as fast as possible and asking for HSS taking leadership
> in this direction. It is now available in English :
>  http://iloveopenaccess.org/arguments-for-open-access/
>
> You can sign it : http://iloveopenaccess.org/?page_id=329
>
> Best regards,
> Marin Dacos
> Director - OpenEdition
>

> Arguments for Open Access to Research Results
>
> In July 2012, the European Commission issued a recommendation on Open
Access (i.e. free for the readers) publication of the results of publicly
funded scientific research. The Commission believes that such a measure is
necessary to increase the visibility of European research before 2020, by
gradually suppressing the barriers between readers and scientific papers, after
a possible embargo period from six to twelve months. Latin America has been
benefiting from this approach for ten years after the development of powerful
platforms for Open Access journals. Scielo and Redalyc, which together host
almost 2000 journals, have considerably increased their visibility thanks to
their Open Access policy: the Brazilian portalScielo now has more traffic than
the US-based JSTOR. Such examples show that Open Access changes the balance of
power in a world dominated by groups which hold thousands of (mostly
English-language) journals: it paves the way to what could be called a real
“bibliodiversity”, since it enables the emergence of a plurality of viewpoints,
modes of publication, scientific paradigms, and languages.

> Some French editors of journals in the Humanities and Social Sciences
(HSS) have expressed their concern with regard to this recommendation, which
they saw as a threat to a vulnerable business model. However, a thorough
assessment of the sector would be required to provide a true cost-benefit
analysis: one should shed light on its funding sources and modes, both direct
and indirect, public and private, and determine the roles the various actors
play in this field, pinpointing the added value brought about by each of them.

> To be afraid of Open Access is, in our eyes, to commit oneself to a narrow
– and in fact erroneous – vision of the future. If the HSS were set aside in a
specific “reservation” today, they would become isolated and would ultimately
become extinct. On the contrary, we think that the HSS can be at the forefront
of this opening movement, precisely because there is an increasing social
demand for their research results (we estimate the overall traffic on Cairn,
OpenEdition, Erudit and Persée to be around 10 million visits per month!). The
fears voiced by our friends and colleagues are largely groundless in this
respect. Not only is the share of sales made outside of higher education and
research institutions very small in the business models of HSS journals, which
remain mostly directly or indirectly funded by public money, but there exist
new business models capable of reinforcing the position of publishers without
having the authors pay, as is demonstrated by the success of the Freemium
programme developed by OpenEdition, a French initiative. Solutions to finance a
high-quality open digital publication system are being invented and have
started to prove their efficiency, as in the cases of Scielo, the Public
Library of Science (PLOS), Redalyc or OpenEdition. It would be a disaster if
the HSS were kept aside from this powerful and innovative movement which is
bound to reshape our scientific landscape. Far from backing off, they must be
among the leading disciplines in this movement, as they are in the Spanish- and
Portuguese-speaking countries. The resistance to this evolution advocated by
some of our colleagues seems to be a short-term strategy neglecting the
potential benefits for science and education, as well as the democratisation of
access to knowledge it will enable.

> According to us, this is not only an economic and commercial problem.
Although the existence of an Elsevier-Springer-Wiley oligopoly exerts heavy
pressure on university budgets and although the funding system of academic
publishing should be rethought, generalised Open Access is first and foremost a
matter of scientific policy. Knowledge cannot be treated as a commodity and its
dissemination is more than ever a vital concern in our societies: we can work
towards a revolutionary democratisation of access to research results.
Knowledge behind barriers, which only the happy few working in the richest
universities can access, is barren knowledge. It is confiscated, though
produced thanks to public funding. In this debate, higher education and
research institutions have akey role to play. The diffusion of knowledge and
research results, their spreading among an audience as large as possible, is
one of the missions of these institutions. Therefore a relevant scientific
policy has to build public digital infrastructures, but  also needs to support
innovative publishing policies aimed at fostering cross-disciplinary exchanges,
new forms of writing, multilingualism and the broadest diffusion.

> Who is afraid of Open Access? Private access policies hinder the
dissemination of ideas and is ill-suited to the new paradigms introduced by
digital media. It is high time that we considered the Web as a unique
opportunity in terms of innovation, the diffusion of knowledge and the
emergence of new ideas.

> We are not afraid of Open Access. To take knowledge out of silos and
beyond the boundaries of academic campuses is to open knowledge to everyone,
acknowledge that it has a pivotal role to play in our societies and open up
perspectives for collective growth.

> Do not be afraid of Open Access! It is now possible to establish a new
scientific, publishing and business contract between researchers, publishers,
libraries and readers in order to enter for good a society of shared,
democratic knowledge.