[BOAI] Re: UK HEFCE Call for Comments: Open access and submissions to the REF post-2014

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum AT gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 07:49:02 -0500

Threading: [BOAI] UK HEFCE Call for Comments: Open access and submissions to the REF post-2014 from amsciforum AT gmail.com
      • This Message

--e89a8f6429a42aca3d04d68bf71e

Seb Schmoller has sent a better URL for the HEFCE REF Call for comments.

Stevan,

open_access_letter.pdf<http://www.hefce.ac.uk/media/hefce/content/news/news/2013/open_access_letter.pdf> might
> be easier for some people.
> Seb Schmoller

I have read it all, very quickly, and it does look very promising, if I
have understood it correctly:

The proposal (for the only category in which I have some expertise) is:

To mandate that in order to be eligible for post-2014 REF
all peer-reviewed journal articles submitted
must be deposited in the author's institutional repository
immediately upon acceptance for publication,
regardless of whether the article is published in a subscription journal or
in a Gold OA journal
*(no preference, and no restriction on author's journal choice),*
and regardless of whether the publisher embargoes Open Access to the
deposit
(for an allowable embargo period that remains to be decided.)

If I have understood this correctly, then there is only one ambiguity I
think I see, which I think needs to be resolved very clearly:

There may be inter-discipline differences regarding the allowable OA
embargo length, but there should be no inter-discipline differences at all
regarding the immediate-deposit requirement itself.

(Closed Access deposit has nothing to do with publisher policy, copyright,
embargoes, or discipline differences).

The proposed HEFCE REF OA policy looks much better than the current RCUK OA
policy. Let us hope that the RCUK policy will now be brought into line with
the proposed HEFCE REF policy.

It is also very reassuring to hear that the policy will be based on
collaboration and consultation.

This may help the UK regain its former worldwide leadership position in OA.
The new US policy developments (following, a decade later, in the UK's
pioneering footsteps) are extremely welcome and timely, but they still have
many rough edges. Let's hope it will be the UK that again shows how to
smooth them out and propel us all unstoppably to global OA.

Stevan Harnad

--e89a8f6429a42aca3d04d68bf71e

com=
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"=
margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-color:rgb(204,20=
4,204);border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex">
Stevan,<br><a
href=3D"http://www.hefce.ac.uk/media/hefce/content/news/news/=
2013/open_access_letter.pdf"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.hefce.ac.uk/media=
ght be easier for some people.<br>
style=3D"font-family:Helvetic=
a">I have read it all, very quickly, and it does look very promising,
if I =
have understood it correctly:=A0</div><div
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica">=
(for the only categ=
ory in which I have some expertise) is:=A0</div><div
style=3D"font-family:H=
elvetica"><br></div><blockquote
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;margin:0px 0=
px 0px 40px;border:none;padding:0px">
REF</div><div>al=
l peer-reviewed journal articles=A0submitted</div><div>must be
deposited=A0=
in the author&#39;s institutional
repository=A0</div><div>immediately upon =
acceptance for publication,</div>
journ=
and=A0no restric=
tion on author&#39;s journal
ther the publisher embargoes Open Access to the deposit=A0</div>
decided.)</div></b=
lockquote><div
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica"><br></div><div
style=3D"font=
-family:Helvetica">If I have understood this correctly, then there is
only =
one ambiguity I think I see, which I think needs to be resolved very clearl=
y:=A0</div>
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica"><br></div><div
style=3D"font-family:He=
lvetica">There may be inter-discipline differences regarding the
allowable =
OA embargo length, but there should be no inter-discipline differences at a=
ll regarding the immediate-deposit requirement itself.=A0</div>
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica"><br></div><div
style=3D"font-family:He=
lvetica">(Closed Access deposit has nothing to do with publisher
policy, co=
pyright, embargoes, or discipline differences).</div><div
style=3D"font-fam=
ily:Helvetica">
proposed HEFCE REF OA po=
licy looks much better than the current RCUK OA policy. Let us hope that th=
e RCUK policy will now be brought into line with the proposed HEFCE REF pol=
icy.</div>
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica"><br></div><div
style=3D"font-family:He=
lvetica">It is also very reassuring to hear that the policy will be
based o=
n collaboration and consultation.</div><div
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica"=
style=3D"font-family:Helvetica">This may help the UK regai=
n its former worldwide leadership position in OA. The new US policy develop=
ments (following, a decade later, in the UK&#39;s pioneering footsteps)
are=
 extremely welcome and timely, but they still have many rough edges.
Let&#3=
9;s hope it will be the UK that again shows how to smooth them out and prop=
el us all unstoppably to global OA.</span>=A0</div>
Harnad</div>

--e89a8f6429a42aca3d04d68bf71e--