[BOAI] The Guardian > Science must be liberated from the paywalls of publishers

From: "McKiernan, Gerard [LIB]" <gerrymck AT iastate.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:28:03 +0000

Colleagues/

Science must be liberated from the paywalls of publishers | Stephen Curry

Tuesday 10 April 2012
Research that is funded by the public should be freely available to all  a
move to open access modes of publication is overdue.
As a scientist and citizen I want to see the universal adoption of the open
access model of academic publishing, because it will be better for science and
better for society.
Open access, where costs are met upfront by the author and papers are free to
readers, would improve science by making all published results and ideas easily
accessible to researchers across the world and so fuel the engine of discovery.
At present, far too much of our research is locked behind paywalls that
restrict access and stall progress.

[more]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/10/science-open-access-publishing

/Gerry