[BOAI] The Open Knowledge Foundation Newsletter, January - March 2012

From: Iryna Kuchma <iryna.kuchma AT eifl.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 18:57:41 +0200

--e89a8f3ba085a918af04bbaf920e

[Forwarding from Theodora Middleton, The Open Knowledge Foundation]

*The Open Knowledge Foundation Newsletter, January - March 2012*

We've hit the new year running here at the Open Knowledge Foundation! Our
work is expanding in every dimension, with new groups and chapters popping
up all over the world, new projects and initiatives constantly emerging,
and existing projects growing. But the most crucial aspect of this growth
is making sure more people are being empowered by data, and that's why
we're focusing on things like our new School of Data, to share and develop
the skills needed for the Age of Open.

With so much activity across the organisation, we've decided to make our
updates to you a little bit more frequent, so you'll be hearing from us
again in a couple of months. You can also stay up-to-date with all our
activity on the blog <http://blog.okfn.org/> (which has just had a snazzy
new redesign!), and by following us on twitter -
 AT okfn<http://twitter.com/#%21/okfn>.

The OKF is a not-for-profit organisation - all our services are provided
openly and for free. We rely on the generosity of our institutional and
individual supporters - and we need your help now more than ever. Please
visit <http://okfn.org/support/> to find out more about becoming an Open
Knowledge Foundation supporter.

You can check the online version of this newsletter on the
blog<http://blog.okfn.org/2012/03/20/open-knowledge-foundation-newsletter-j=
anuary-march-2012/>
-
with pictures and stuff.

*(Some of) What we've been up to...*

*Back to School time kids! Announcing The School of Data*

The explosive growth of data available is leading to a rapid rise in demand
for data skills, and that demand isn't being met. We need flexible,
on-demand, shorter learning options for people who are actively working in
areas that benefit from data skills, particularly those who may have
already left formal education programmes. To make the dream a reality,
we're teaming up with Peer 2 Peer University <http://p2pu.org/> (P2PU),
who
worked with Mozilla on the successful 'School of Webcraft' peer-to-peer
project. Visit the blog to find out how you can get
involved<http://blog.okfn.org/2012/02/08/announcing-the-school-of-data/>
!
*The Open Data Handbook*
And as part of our drive to put the power of data into the hands of as many
people as possible, we're pleased to announce the launch of The Open Data
Handbook v1.0 <http://opendatahandbook.org/en/> . The handbook explains
the
why, what and how of open data - why to go open, what open is, and how to
open - check it out and let us know what else you'd like to see included!

*Panton Fellowships for the promotion of Open Data in Science*
Funded by the Open Society Institute <http://www.soros.org/> and
coordinated by the Open Knowledge Foundation, the Panton
Fellowships<http://pantonprinciples.org/panton-fellowships/>will be
awarded to scientists who actively promote open data in science. We
firmly believe that "open data means better science", and these
fellowships
are designed to support scientists to explore this ideas and tackle current
barriers to greater openness. We announced them in
January<http://blog.okfn.org/2012/01/25/panton-fellowships-apply-now/>,
and the closing date for applications was in February. Keep an eye on the O=
KF
blog <http://blog.okfn.org/> and the Open Science
blog<http://science.okfn.org/blog/>to find out first about the new
Fellows.

*OKCon + OGD Camp =3D OKFest!*
Grab your woolly hat - we're off to Finland! We're all super-excited about
what is set to be the biggest, best, most open Open Knowledge Foundation
event yet so far - OKFest
2012<http://blog.okfn.org/2012/02/07/ogdcamp-okcon-open-knowledge-festival-=
2012-in-helsinki-finland/>!
Members from our brand new OKFN:LOCAL Finnish
chapter<http://blog.okfn.org/2011/11/17/finland-joins-our-global-open-data-=
community/>and
their mates have invited everyone over to Helsinki for a week which
will pack OKCon and the Open Government Data Camp into one amazing
celebration of all things open, September 17-22. Do come along!

*CKAN to power EC Data Portal*
The European Commission is  going to make its data publicly and openly
available through a new data portal, along the lines of those already used
by national governments such as data.gov.uk. Like data.gov.uk, the new site
will be based on our open-source CKAN Data Portal Software, and we're
getting involved in other ways too - find out more on the
blog<http://blog.okfn.org/2012/01/31/open-knowledge-foundationss-ckan-softw=
are-to-power-new-european-commission-data-portal/>
.

Other great developments from the CKAN gang: there are now over 3300
datasets available through CKAN and the Data Hub - check out our stats
page<http://thedatahub.org/stats>and the
Data Hub <http://thedatahub.org/> to find out more! And we're really
pleased to have rolled out CKAN v1.6
<http://ckan.org/2012/03/15/ckan-1-6>,
which includes live data previews and visualisations; major improvements to
datasets, resources, and groups; and a QA (quality assurance)
extension<http://ckan.org/2012/02/09/ckans-qa-extension-just-got-better/>,
which automatically calculates =915 stars of
openness'<http://lab.linkeddata.deri.ie/2010/star-scheme-by-example>scores
and keeps track of broken links.

*Open Economics WG activity*

Exciting news from the Open Economics Working Group<http://openeconomics.ne=
t/>,
who have secured funding from the Albert P Sloan
Foundation<http://blog.okfn.org/2012/02/23/alfred-p-sloan-foundation-funds-=
open-economics-working-group-at-the-open-knowledge-foundation/>!
In the words of Daniel L. Goroff, Program Director at the Alfred P. Sloan
Foundation, =93Open datasets have the potential to revolutionize economics =
as
a discipline and accelerate breakthroughs in the field ... Support for the
Open Knowledge Foundation=92s work will not only help advance empirical
research by academics, but also improve everyone=92s understanding of
important economic processes and trends.=94
Evidence of the importance of work in this field was further provided by
the nomination of two related OKF projects to the LivingLabs
awards<http://blog.okfn.org/2012/03/08/living-labs-global-award-2012-two-ok=