[BOAI] Open Access Feedback

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:48:44 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] Public comments on the RCUK's draft new OA policy from peter.suber AT gmail.com
      • This Message

http://www.openscholarship.org/upload/docs/application/pdf/2012-03/rcuk_proposed_policy_on_access_to_research_outputs.pdf

> Please send any comments to <communications AT rcuk.ac.uk> and use
"Open Access Feedback" in the subject line.

1. It is excellent that RCUK is reducing the allowable embargo period
(to 6 months for most research councils).

2. A license that formally allows more re-use rights (e.g., "libre
OA", CC-BY)
is desirable, but it asks for more than just free online access ("gratis
OA") at
a time when we are stiill far from having free online access. It thereby puts
more constraints on authors, demands more of publishers, and makes
it harder for that vast majority of institutions and funders who have not
yet managed to reach consensus on adopting a Green OA self-archiving
mandate to reach consensus, because of the added constraints.

I accordingly recommend to RCUK that "libre OA" be strongly
encouraged,
but that only "Gratis OA" (which automatically includes linking,
downloading, local print-off, local storage, local data-mining, search-engine
harvesting and search) be required.

This makes it easier and more probable that universities and research
institutions will be able to follow suit, adopting complementary Green OA
mandates of their own, for all of their research output, whether or not
RCUK-funded. It will also make it easier and more probable that other
research funders will adopt similar institution-friendly mandates.

Once mandatory Gratis OA prevails, it will not be long before it is upgraded
to Libre OA. But first things first. Do not let the best get in the way of the
good, of which there is still so very little.
http://bit.ly/DepLoc

3. The locus of deposit should be the fundee's own institutional repository,
not an institution-external central repository. Central repositories and
search engines can then harvest the metadata from the institutional repository
for search for re-display.

The reason for this is again that there are more publisher restrictions
on institution-external deposit than on institutional deposit, and at this
time when there is still so little OA and so few OA mandates, it will
make it easier and more probable that universities and research
institutions will be able to follow suit, adopting complementary Green
OA mandates of their own, for all of their research output, whether or
not RCUK-funded, if their researchers do not need to do multiple
institution-external deposits or to face needless extra publisher
restrictions.
http://bit.ly/DepLoc

4. The optimal Green OA Mandate is ID/OA -- Immediate Deposit,
Optional Access -- is identical to the RCUK Mandate in every respect
except that it stipulates that the deposit itself must be done immediately
upon acceptance for publication, rather than only after the allowable
embargo period has expired.
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/494-guid.html

This means that users will see the metadata immediately, and can already
make automated eprint requests to the author for single copies for
research purposes during the embargo.
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/18511/

5. Repository deposit  should be officially stipulated as the sole mechanism
for submitting publications for research assessment as well as for submitting
publication lists for RCUK research proposals.