[BOAI] OAPEN-UK Researcher Survey released

From: Peter Suber <peter.suber AT gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 10:04:21 -0500

--0015174792f653ee4404bae4d552

[Forwarding from OAPEN-UK, via the JISC-Repositories list.  --Peter Suber.]

**Apologies for Cross Posting**

Dear Colleagues

Today I am releasing the OAPEN-UK Researcher Survey =96 this survey invites
humanities and social science researchers to tell us about what they value
in the publishing process for scholarly monographs as both authors and
readers. It explores the issues of prestige, how they currently choose
publishers, what they value from being published and their publisher=92s
services, looks at whether they would self-publish and their understanding
of open access and what would be priority to them in an open access model.

I welcome your assistance in disseminating the OAPEN-UK researcher survey.
-----

Humanities and social science researchers =96 can you spare twenty minutes =
help us understand the future of the monograph? You could win one of
several =A3100 Amazon vouchers by completing the OAPEN-UK Researcher Survey
at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/oapenukresearcher

OAPEN-UK is an Arts and Humanities Research Council and JISC funded project
exploring the issues impacting upon the publishing of scholarly monographs
in the humanities and social sciences (HSS). The project is working with
Taylor & Francis, Palgrave Macmillan, Berg Publishers, Liverpool University
Press, University Wales Press, research funders and universities, to
understand the challenges and steps required to move towards an open access
publishing model for scholarly monographs. Further information on OAPEN-UK
is available on the project website:
www.oapen-uk.jiscebooks.org

In an open access model the monograph is made freely available =96 readers
(or their libraries) do not have to pay to read it online, rather the costs
of the publishing process (e.g.  peer review, typesetting, marketing) are
recovered through alternative routes such as research grants, institutional
funding or perhaps through readers purchasing print editions or particular
formats for their iPad or Kindle. Various models are being tested at the
moment.

OAPEN-UK has two strands: an open access pilot gathering data on the usage,
sales and citations of 60 monographs, and a wider research project which
explores the environment for open access publishing.

We=92re six months into the project and, following a series of focus groups=
,
have identified some key questions for researchers =96 both as authors and
readers.

We invite you to complete the researcher survey:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/oapenukresearcher. The findings from this
survey will combine with interviews and surveys of other stakeholder groups
to help us understand the big issues and priorities that an open access
publishing model must accommodate.

To thank you for your help, if you complete the survey you will be entered
into a draw for Amazon vouchers =96 we have three =A3100 vouchers, three =
=A350
vouchers and three =A325 vouchers available to win.

If you=92d like any further information, please contact Ellen Collins (
ellen.collins AT researchinfonet.org) or myself. The OAPEN-UK website also
contains more information about the project, and our findings so far.

Kind Regards

Caren

Caren Milloy
Head of Projects
JISC Collections
c.milloy AT jisc-collections.ac.ukwww.jisc-collections.ac.uk
Twitter:  AT oapenuk

--0015174792f653ee4404bae4d552

from OAPEN-UK, via=
 the JISC-Repositories list. =A0--Peter
lass=3D"gmail_quote"><br></div><div
class=3D"gmail_quote">**Apologies for C=
ross Posting**<br>

Dear Colleagues<br>
Today I am releasing the OAPEN-UK Researcher Survey =96 this survey invites=
 humanities and social science researchers to tell us about what they value=
 in the publishing process for scholarly monographs as both authors and rea=
ders. It explores the issues of prestige, how they currently choose publish=
ers, what they value from being published and their publisher=92s services,=
 looks at whether they would self-publish and their understanding of open a=
ccess and what would be priority to them in an open access model.<br>

I welcome your assistance in disseminating the OAPEN-UK researcher survey.<=
br>
-----<br>
Humanities and social science researchers =96 can you spare twenty minutes =
to help us understand the future of the monograph? You could win one of sev=
eral =A3100 Amazon vouchers by completing the OAPEN-UK Researcher Survey at=
target=3D"_bla=
nk">http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/oapenukresearcher</a><br>

OAPEN-UK is an Arts and Humanities Research Council and JISC funded project=
 exploring the issues impacting upon the publishing of scholarly monographs=
 in the humanities and social sciences (HSS). The project is working with T=
aylor &amp; Francis, Palgrave Macmillan, Berg Publishers, Liverpool
Univers=
ity Press, University Wales Press, research funders and universities, to un=
derstand the challenges and steps required to move towards an open access p=
ublishing model for scholarly monographs. Further information on OAPEN-UK i=
s available on the project website:<br>

target=3D"_blank">www.oapen-=
uk.jiscebooks.org</a><br>
In an open access model the monograph is made freely available =96 readers =
(or their libraries) do not have to pay to read it online, rather the costs=
 of the publishing process (e.g. =A0peer review, typesetting, marketing) ar=
e recovered through alternative routes such as research grants, institution=
al funding or perhaps through readers purchasing print editions or particul=
ar formats for their iPad or Kindle. Various models are being tested at the=
 moment.<br>

OAPEN-UK has two strands: an open access pilot gathering data on the usage,=
 sales and citations of 60 monographs, and a wider research project which e=
xplores the environment for open access publishing.<br>
We=92re six months into the project and, following a series of focus groups=
, have identified some key questions for researchers =96 both as authors an=
d readers.<br>
We invite you to complete the researcher survey: <a
href=3D"http://www.surv=
eymonkey.com/s/oapenukresearcher"
target=3D"_blank">http://www.surveymonkey=
.com/s/oapenukresearcher</a>. The findings from this survey will combine
wi=
th interviews and surveys of other stakeholder groups to help us understand=
 the big issues and priorities that an open access publishing model must ac=
commodate.<br>

To thank you for your help, if you complete the survey you will be entered =
into a draw for Amazon vouchers =96 we have three =A3100 vouchers, three =
=A350 vouchers and three =A325 vouchers available to win.<br>
If you=92d like any further information, please contact Ellen Collins
(<br>
researchinfonet.org">ellen.collins AT research=
infonet.org</a>) or myself. The OAPEN-UK website also contains more
informa=
tion about the project, and our findings so far.<br>
Kind Regards<br>
Caren<br>
Caren Milloy<br>
Head of Projects<br>