[BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter

From: Peter Suber <peters AT earlham.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 13:26:25 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu
      • This Message

--0015174be99af04f21048f4a1eb2

* Announcement (cross-posted) *

I just mailed the September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter.  This
issue includes the concluding installment of the essay started in the August
issue on William Garvey's 1979 observation  that "in some disciplines, it
is
easier to repeat an experiment than it is to determine that the experiment
has already been done."  In Part 2, I connect OA with three variations on
Garvey's theme:  when we we want to redo past work, to test its results,
when we inadvertently redo past work, thinking it's new, and when we don't
want to redo past work, or look it up, because we've allowed knowledge to
become taboo and replaced curiosity with a defensive preference for what we
already believe.
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/09-02-10.htm

The roundup section briefly notes 137 OA developments from August.

September 2010 issue
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/01-02-10.htm

How to subscribe and unsubscribe to the newsletter and discussion forum.
http://www.arl.org/sparc/publications/soan

The current and back issues are all open access, of course.
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/archive.htm

Peter

Peter Suber
Senior Researcher, SPARC
Berkman Fellow, Harvard University
Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/

--0015174be99af04f21048f4a1eb2

>* Announcement (cross-posted)
 September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter. =A0This issue include=
s the concluding installment of the essay started in the August issue on Wi=
lliam Garvey&#39;s 1979 observation=A0=A0that &quot;in some
disciplines, it=
 is easier to repeat an experiment than it is to determine that the experim=
ent has already been done.&quot; =A0In Part 2, I=A0connect OA with three
va=
riations on Garvey&#39;s theme: =A0when we we want to redo past work, to
te=
st its results, when we inadvertently redo past work, thinking it&#39;s
new=
, and when we don&#39;t want to redo past work, or look it up,
because=A0we=
&#39;ve allowed knowledge to become taboo and replaced curiosity with a
def=
ensive preference for what we already believe.=A0</div>

href=3D"http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/09-02-10.htm"=
br></div><div>The roundup section briefly notes 137 OA
developments from Au=
gust.</div>

issue</div><div><a href=3D"http://www.ea=
rlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/01-02-10.htm">http://www.earlham.edu/~pete=
e and unsubscribe to the newsletter and discussion forum.</div>

href=3D"http://www.arl.org/sparc/publications/soan">http://www.arl.=
ck issues are all open access, of course.</div><div><a
href=3D"http://www.e=
arlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/archive.htm">http://www.earlham.edu/~pete=
rs/fos/newsletter/archive.htm</a></div>

class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"white-space:pre=
rcher, SPARC</div><div>Berkman Fellow, Harvard
University</div><div>Researc=
h Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College</div>

Knowledge</div><div><a href=3D"ht=
tp://www.earlham.edu/~peters/">http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/</a></div><di=

--0015174be99af04f21048f4a1eb2--