[BOAI] Re: OA policies and their "weight"

From: Remedios Melero <rmelero AT iata.csic.es>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:22:24 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] Re: OA policies and their "weight" from rmelero AT iata.csic.es
      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: OA policies and their "weight" from isabel.bernal AT bib.csic.es

Good morning!

Thanks Stevan for your comments, in fact I did not expect so much
controversial discussion, but I prefer this since it serves to think
about some aspects that one has not considered or has misssed. I will
revise your comments and see how we can implement some improvements to
avoid any missunderstanding. However, something I would like to make
clear is:

1. The CSIC ranking of repositories and universities is nothing to
compare, that is a ranking build on "visibility" of an  institution
in
the web. A graphic representation has not to mean necesarily a ranking
but a measurement
2. MELIBEA is not a directory of repositories, but OA policies, there
ara a lot of repositories but few OA policies, obviously most of the
policies are associated with the deposit in an insituttional or subject
repository.
3. The model  is based on the weights of some variables, you are right,
they could be different because it  will be always an approach, however
they have been tested, changed and modified before MELIBEA was publicly
announced.

I will take the advantage  of summer holidays to think about all these
issues and hopefully after them I can show some changes aimed to improve
the tool. I wil start with the colors which I see were more important
than thought!

Reme

El 19/07/2010 15:56, Stevan Harnad escribió:
> Dear Reme, if I may also make an intervention in your exchange with Steve
Hitchcock about the MELIBEA OA policy evaluator:
> http://www.accesoabierto.net/politicas/
>
> The MELIBEA service is extremely timely and promising, and could be
potentially useful and even influential in shaping OA mandates -- but that
makes it all the more important to get it right, rather than releasing MELIBEA
prematurely, when it still risks increasing confusion rather than providing
clarity and direction.

> You are right to point out that -- unlike the CSIC's University Ranking
and the Repository Ranking -- the policy evaluator is not really a ranking. But
you have set up the composite algorithm and the graphics to make it a ranking
just the same.

> You are also point out, correctly, that the policy criteria for
institutions and funders are not (and should not be) the same. Yet, with the
MELIBEA coding as well as the algorithm, they are treated the same way.

> You also point out, rightly, that gold OA publishing policy is not central
to institutional OA policy making, yet there it is, as part of the MELIBEA
algorithm.

> You also point out that the color code has nothing to do with the
"green" OA coding -- yet there it is, competing with the widespread
use of green to designate self-archiving, and thereby causing confusion, both
overt and covert.

> I would be more than happy to give you feedback on every aspect of MELIBEA
-- it could be a useful and natural complement to the ROARMAP registry of OA
policies.

> But as it is designed now, I can only agree with Steve Hitchcock's points
and conclude that consulting MELIBEA today would be likely to induce confusion
and would not help in bringing the all-important focus and direction to OA
policy-making that I am sure CSIC, too, seeks, and seeks to help bring about.

> Here are just a few prima facie points:
>
> (1) Since MELIBEA is not, and should not be construed as a ranking of OA
policies -- especially because it includes both institutional and funder
policies -- it is important NOT to plug it into an algorithm until and unless
the algorithm has first been carefully tested, with consultation, to make sure
it weights policy criteria in a way that optimizes OA progress and guides
policy-makers in the right direction.

> (2) For this reason, it is more important to allow users to generate
separate flat lists of institutions or funders on the various policy criteria,
considered and compared independently, rather than on the basis of a
prematurely and arbitrarily weighted joint algorithm.

> (3) This is all the more important since the data are based on less then
200 institutions, whereas the CSIC University Rankings are based on thousands.
Since the population is still so small, MELIBEA risks having a disproportionate
effect on initial conditions and hence direction-setting; all the more reason
NOT to amplify noise and indirection by assigning untested initial weights
without carefully thinking through and weighing the consequences.

> (4) A potential internal cross-validator of some of the criteria would be
a reliable measure of outcome -- but that requires much more attention to
estimating the annual size and growth-rate of each repository (in terms of OA's
target contents, which are full-text articles), normalized for institution size
and annual total target output. Policy criteria (such as request/require or
immediate/delayed) should be cross-validated against these outcome measures
(such as percentage and growth rate of annual target output).

> (5) The MELIBEA color coding needs to be revised, and revised quickly, if
there is to be an algorithm at all. All those arbitrary colors in the display
of single repositories as ranked by the algorithm are both unnecessary and
confusing. The objective should be to order and focus clearly and intuitively.
Whatever is correlated with more green OA output (such as a higher level or
faster growth rate in OA's target content) should be coded as darker or bigger
shades of green. The same should be true for the policy criteria, separately
and jointly: in each case, request/require, delayed/immediate, etc., the
greenward polarity is obvious and intuitive. This should be reflected in the
graphics as well as in any comparative rankings.

> (6) If you include repositories with no OA policy at all (i.e., just a
repository and an open invitation to deposit) then all you are doing is
duplicating ROAR and ROARMAP, whereas the purpose, presumably, of MELIBEA, is
to highlight, weigh and compare specific policy differences among (the very
few) repositories that DO have policies.

> (7) The sign-up data --
http://www.accesoabierto.net/politicas/nueva.php?directorio=politicas -- are
also rather confusing; the criteria are not always consistent, relevant or
applicable. The sign-up seems to be designed to make a funder mandate the
generic option, whereas this is quite the opposite of reality. There are far
more institutions and institutional repositories and policies than funders.
There should be separate criterial lists for institutional policies and for
funder policies; they are not the same. There is also far too much focus on
gold OA policy and payment. If included at all, this should only be at the end,
as an addendum, not the focus at the beginning, and on a par with green OA
policy.

> (8) There is also potential confusion on the matter of
"waivers": There are two aspects of a mandate. One concerns whether
or not deposit is required (and if so, whether that requirement can be waived)
and the other concerns whether or not rights-reservation is required (and if
so, whether that requirement can be waived). These two distinct and independent
requirements/waivers are completely conflated in the current version of
MELIBEA.

> I hope there will be substantive consultation and conscientious redesign
of these and other aspects of MELIBEA before it is can recommended for serious
consideration and use.

> Stevan Harnad
>

> On 2010-07-19, at 5:18 AM, Remedios Melero wrote:
>

>> Dear Steve,
>>
>> I apologize for the delay in my response, but I will try to give some
explanations to make clear some issues you raised in your message (my comments
are in capital letters, to distinguish them from yours)

>> El 15/07/2010 11:22, Steve Hitchcock escribió:
>>
>>> Reme,    Thank you for bringing this new service to our attention.
OA policies are vitally important to the development of institutional
repositories, and services that can highlight and bring attention to this
development can be valuable.

>>> There are a few aspects of the validation aspects of the new
MELIBEA service that confuse, and possibly trouble, me. The first is the main
indicator, %OAval, which is the most visible result for a policy. What do you
expect this will tell people about a given policy? I randomly selected a couple
of policies, one of which was for my own school, to find they each scored about
50%. I would expect these to be among the leaders in terms of OA policies, so
this seems a surprisingly unhelpful score.

>>> So what's the explanation? Note that the objects being evaluated
are institutional OA policies; they are effectively being presented in relation
to institutional repositories when the policy specifies where to archive is an
IR with a URL. It seems that the scores include ratings for OA publication
policy, libre vs gratis OA, publisher pdf, sanctions (score if Yes), incentives
(score if Yes), etc., some of which an institution might specify but which
might not apply to an IR
>>> http://www.accesoabierto.net/politicas/politicas_estructura.php
>>> . However you weight these factors they are still contributors to
the overall score, so a policy that is specific to an IR is immediately
handicapped, or appears to be unless there is more context to understand the
scores.

>> AS I WROTE BEFORE THIS IS NOT A RANKING, IT IS NOT THE AIM OF MELIBEA
BUT TO HAVE A KIND OF REFERENCE ON WHAT TOPICS, ISSUES OR MATTERS TO BE
INCLUDED IN AN OA POLICY. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT INSTITUTIONAL POLICIES OF
DIFFERENTE NATURE, NOT ABOUT REPOSITORIES POLICIES. IF THE POLICY ONLY TALKS
ABOUT THE REQUIREMENT TO DEPOSIT IN A REPOSITORY, IT SHOULD  SPECIFY WHAT, WHEN
AND UNDER WHAT CONDITIONS, IF ANY. IT IS NOT THE SAME TO SAY WHAT DOCUMENTS
AND WHAT VERSIONS AND WHEN THAN SIMPLY SAY " ANY" OR "AS SOON AS
POSSIBLE" (this could be a month after publication or years after
publication, depending on one's criteria). GOLD ROUTE, NEVER IS REQUIRED
ACCORDING OUR APPROACH ("Gold  (Recommended in OA journals") AND NOT
ALL OA JOURNALS ARE SUPPORTED BY  SAME ECONOMIC MODEL.

>>> Which leads me to another question on the visualisation of the
validator, and its use of green, gold (and red) in the meter. Do the green and
gold refer the the classic OA colours? This would be quite convenient, since it
would appear that the green repository policies I mentioned above are achieving
almost full scores in the green zone of the meter. However, I suspect this
cannot be the case, because it would assume that institutions must have a green
AND gold policy, but not simply gold (whatever argument could be put for that).

>> COLORS DO NOT MEAN THAT, WE WANTED JUST TO DISTINGUISH ZONES LIKE IT
WERE A SPECTRA.

>>> It is important that new services should help reveal and promote
OA policies, as you seek to do, but at the same time not to prejudice the
development of such policies by mixing and not fairly separating the
contributing factors, especially where these relate to different types of OA.

>> I DO NOT THINK WE ARE MIXING, IN FACT THERE TWO MODELS, ONE FOR UNIV.
AND RESEARCH CNETRES AND ANOTHER FOR FUNDERS AND GOV. INSTITUTIONS AND THE
QUESTIONS FOR THEM ARE DIFFERENT, for instance, FOR A FUNDER THE QUESTION ABOUT
DEPOSIT O THESIS IS NOT APPLICABLE.
>> IN SUMMARY, OUR MODEL COULD NOT BE "PERFECT" BUT I IS ONE,
WHICH COULD DETECT DIFFERENCES BETWEEN REQUEST AND REQUIRE, WHO, WHAT , WHEN IF
THERE ARE ANY INCENTIVES OR SANCTIONS (  this has not to be a negative point
but to remember we should  assume  reponsible attitudes).

>> However we will revise the model to see if we can make any improvement
to make it clear, we are working also in a graph interface to show some data in
graphical form.