RE: [BOAI] Formats for electronic dissemination

From: JOATO JOATP <joatp2000 AT yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 05:03:08 -0800 (PST)

Threading: RE: [BOAI] Formats for electronic dissemination from eds AT library.caltech.edu
      • This Message
             RE: [BOAI] Formats for electronic dissemination from remoran AT digcns.com
             Re: [BOAI] Formats for electronic dissemination from lqthede AT apk.net
             RE: [BOAI] Formats for electronic dissemination from remoran AT digcns.com
             Re: [BOAI] Formats for electronic dissemination from M.Brown AT liverpool.ac.uk
             Re: [BOAI] Formats for electronic dissemination from michael_odonnell AT acm.org
             Re: [BOAI] Formats for electronic dissemination from lqthede AT apk.net
             Re: [BOAI] Formats for electronic dissemination from m.brown AT liverpool.ac.uk

I kind of agree on this issue.  Being one that does different articles from
time to time I have often noticed how certain graphics, especially math
printouts can look so great when in say MS Word format.   But after conversion
to PDF format you at times have to well over enlarge the text to even read the
math.   Regular prints of these suffer the same problem.   In fact, one of the
Editors of our own Journal once mentioned to me he was having problems along
this line in something I had converted to PDF.   When I sent him the original
in MS word he had not problem at all reading it.   I then suggested he enlarge
the PDF version by a bit over 200% and agin he could proper read them.

I believe it is the University of Texas that allows upload and displays of
files in PDF, Latex, and MS Word formats as well as HTML, etc.   I have often
thought that feature would be good on a all the systems in general.   Another
feature out there often absent from websites in general is the ability to
upload directly PDF files.  Now websites are not archive systems.   But they do
enter into the general spread of information worldwide.   Since most Institutes
and most researchers tend to use the PDF format, having websites that allow
direct upload of PDF files as well as other types of files would be an
improvement from the regular hyperlink to another site.

Just a thought on that last point.