[BOAI] Re: Wrong Advice On Open Access: History Repeating Itself

From: "Prof. Tom Wilson" <t.d.wilson AT sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 17:05:05 +0100

Threading: [BOAI] Wrong Advice On Open Access: History Repeating Itself from amsciforum AT gmail.com
      • This Message

No one knows exactly how the 'open access' movement will pan out but I think
that some things are fairly clear.

1, scholarly publishers are facing very similar problems to the newspaper
industry - changes in technologies are making them redundant.

2, anything that props up the industry will simply delay the inevitable and
institutional repositories prop up the industry - indeed, why else would
publishers give permission for authors' works to be archived?  Strong advocacy
of repositories is strong advocacy of the status quo in scholarly
communication.

3, at least in the UK, universities seem to have other things on their minds
(like potential bankruptcies in a number of cases) to be too concerned about
such things as mandating repositories.

4, scholars are increasingly taking matters into their own hands and producing
free OA journals on some kind of subsidy basis and any economist will tell you
that social benefit is maximised by this form of OA.

5, change is difficult when status and promotion are made dependent upon
publication in journals that are highly cited in Web of Knowledge,
consequently, it is only when free OA journals make their way into the upper
quartile of the rankings that they will begin to attract as many submissions as
the established fee-based journals (whether subscription or author-charged).
Some OA journals are already in that position.

6, however, 5 above may be overtaken as scholarly communication methods
continue to evolve. The present situation is not the end of the line, but a
somewhat confused intermediate stage of development. Cherished features of such
communication, such as peer review, may disappear, to be replaced by
post-publication comments. These may be stronger affirmations of quality than
citation - particularly as we usually have no idea as to why a paper has been
cited.

In brief - any strategy evolved today on the assumption that the future is
likely to be the same as the past is probably going to fail.

Professor T.D. Wilson, PhD, Hon.PhD
Publisher/Editor in Chief
Information Research
InformationR.net
e-mail: t.d.wilson AT shef.ac.uk
Web site: http://InformationR.net/

Quoting "Noel, Robert E." <rnoel AT indiana.edu>:

> Does it make that much difference how universities, scholars, and readers
> arrive at Open Access?  I'm a little puzzled by the lengths to which
Steven
> Harnad goes to advance a specific path, while very deliberately excluding
> other cogent, seemingly sensible ideas.  I have not talked to Jackson
about
> "Getting Yourself out of the Business"; perhaps he read the
"Wrong Advice"
> message below and now agrees with Mr. Harnad, I don't know.
>
> It seems the efforts of Berkeley's mathematician Rob Kirby (launched SPARC
> endorsed "Algebraic and Geometric Topology", and "Geometry
and Topology")
> were largely seeded by the spirit of Jackson's strategy as opposed to any
> other strategy.  Kirby has been concerned about commercial publishers'
> journal prices and took action that seems to me to have been constructive
> action (see Notices of the AMS, 2004, "Fleeced").  The message
of that
> opinion piece again seems to me to be related to Jackson's points, and not
so
> much to the Harnad solution.  In what ways are the actions of Prof.
> Bruynooghe and JLP's editorial board roughly a decade ago a failure?  The
> resignation of that Board was motivated by "Getting yourself out of
the
> Business".  Similarly, the price of "Nuclear Physics B"
(Elsevier) has been
> going down in recent years and many users of that literature regard that
as a
> positive thing.  Many variables have driven that drop in price, and it's
> presumptuous to think that none!
>   of them have to do with Jackson's points.
>
> Anyway, others have devoted much more time and energy to this topic than I
> have, but I'm skeptical of recommendations that bluntly reject other
> strategies from the outset.  It makes me think that open access is not the
> primary goal, but that a specific path to open access is the primary goal,
> and that access itself is a convenient result, but still an afterthought.
> It's tantamount to engineers and scientists recommending to policy makers
> that solar and wind energy are viable alternatives that will reduce a
> country's dependence on oil, but research into biofuels, maglev trains,
and
> clean coal is utter nonsense, and reducing individual energy consumption
by
> changing lifestyles is a sham, and in fact counterproductive.
>
> Does anyone on the planet have this much foresight as to how civilization
> should communicate and share information?
>
> Bob Noel
> Swain Hall Library
> Indiana University
> Bloomington, IN  47405