[BOAI] Re: On archiving & Mirroring of Journals by Third Parties

From: Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez AT>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 22:37:57 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] On archiving from holl AT
      • This Message

Hi Andras,

This post in the "creative-commons-community" mailing list:

is very relevant to our previous conversation:

It is about a thriller novel that was posted online under CC
non-commercial license, the text has been community-edited.

The book is sold at a web site:

and its PDF file is available for free download at:

If you note,
the book's second page states:

Copyright 2005,2006,2007,2008
M. A. Newhall,
some rights reserved.
Please See
for the full text of the license.
This is version 1.02 of this book.
First Edition.
The latest version can always be found at
A printed copy of the book can be purchased from
This book has been community edited.
If you find errors of any kind in this text,
please email a correction to me at
M.A.Newhall AT
Please include:
The nature of the error;
The chapter number;
The page number;
A few contextual words;
A suggested correction;
I will consider all corrections for the next edition.
Thank you for your intelligent criticisms.
I hope you enjoy the novel.

          No redistribution restrictions...

In fact, the more we redistribute the PDF the more chances does
the printed book to be sold. This simply because few people like
to read a 220 pages document in a computer screen, specially when
it is a novel.

Please note that the PDF file is plenty of live links that point
back to the book's offical web site:

In marketing, this is called "viral marketing"

For the case of papers, once you have inserted on every PDF page
a live-link to your web site, you actuall want to ask readers
(strongly encourage them, and even beg them) to re-post online
the copies of papers they downloaded from your Journal.

This will create multitude of links that point back to your
official site, and will raise your Google ranking.
with the net result of attracting more surfers to your web site
and building up the reputation/visibility of the Journal.

     Best Regards,