[BOAI] Re: On archiving & Mirroring of Journals by Third Parties

From: Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez AT kitware.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 22:37:57 -0400

Threading: [BOAI] On archiving from holl AT konkoly.hu
      • This Message

Hi Andras,

This post in the "creative-commons-community" mailing list:

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-community/2008-May/003750.html

is very relevant to our previous conversation:

It is about a thriller novel that was posted online under CC
non-commercial license, the text has been community-edited.

The book is sold at a web site:
http://www.thickerthanbloodthebook.com/purchase.shtml

and its PDF file is available for free download at:
http://www.thickerthanbloodthebook.com/book1/Thicker-Than-Blood.pdf

If you note,
the book's second page states:

<quote>
License
Copyright 2005,2006,2007,2008
M. A. Newhall,
some rights reserved.
Please See
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/
for the full text of the license.
This is version 1.02 of this book.
First Edition.
The latest version can always be found at
http://www.thickerthanbloodthebook.com
A printed copy of the book can be purchased from
http://www.thickerthanbloodthebook.com/purchase.shtml
This book has been community edited.
If you find errors of any kind in this text,
please email a correction to me at
M.A.Newhall AT thickerthanbloodthebook.com
Please include:
The nature of the error;
The chapter number;
The page number;
A few contextual words;
A suggested correction;
I will consider all corrections for the next edition.
Thank you for your intelligent criticisms.
I hope you enjoy the novel.
</quote>

          No redistribution restrictions...

In fact, the more we redistribute the PDF the more chances does
the printed book to be sold. This simply because few people like
to read a 220 pages document in a computer screen, specially when
it is a novel.

Please note that the PDF file is plenty of live links that point
back to the book's offical web site:

         http://www.thickerthanbloodthebook.com/

In marketing, this is called "viral marketing"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing

--

For the case of papers, once you have inserted on every PDF page
a live-link to your web site, you actuall want to ask readers

This will create multitude of links that point back to your
official site, and will raise your Google ranking.
[see http://www.google.com/technology/index.html]
with the net result of attracting more surfers to your web site
and building up the reputation/visibility of the Journal.

     Best Regards,

        Luis