Re: [BOAI] A proposal for evaluating and rewarding the impact of research articles

From: Thomas Krichel <krichel AT openlib.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 23:03:39 -0500

Threading: [BOAI] A proposal for evaluating and rewarding the impact of research articles from atn AT cict.fr
      • This Message

  Etienne Joly writes

> But to ensure the quality of the papers published, it is hard to
> conceive that scientific publishing could be carried out by others
> than money-earning professionals. The only viable solution is
> therefore for the publishing charges to be levied on the authors.

  I beg to differ. The cost of academic publishing has  dropped so far
  that it is easy to conceive individuals and departments
  running journals to raise their web exposure and academic reputation.
  The costs can be absorbed by the individual and the institutions.
  There are already many examples for this. It will be a growing
  trend I hope.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                      mailto:krichel AT openlib.org
  from Moscow, Russia            http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                             RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel