[BOAI] IFLA manifesto?

From: "Iva Melinscak Zlodi" <imelinsc AT irb.hr>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:49:47 +0200

Are there any news on IFLA manifesto on Open access. It should have been
approved
on the Annual conference held in August, right? I'm just beeing curious.

Best regards, --
Iva Melinscak Zlodi, bibliotekar
Knjiznica Instituta "Rudjer Boskovic"
Bijenicka 54; HR-10000 Zagreb; Hrvatska

tel. 385 1 4561 043
faks 385 1 4561 095

RE: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving

From: dksahu AT vsnl.com
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:39:42 +0530 (IST)

Threading: Re: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from hbosc AT tours.inra.fr
      • This Message
             RE: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from arun AT mssrf.res.in

Even in PubMed articles with free full text can be searched separately. This is
a new feature introduced very recently.

Add "Free Full Text [filter]" to your search key word to retrieve
articles which are providing link to full text through LinkOut.

e.g. Open Access AND Free Full Text [filter] will give about 100 articles on
the topic with free full text of the articles linked from the PubMed.

DK Sahu, MD
Executive Editor, Indian Journal of Medical Sciences
Managing Editor, Journal of Postgraduate Medicine

From: Thomas Krichel <krichel AT openlib.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:25:25 -0500

Threading: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk
      • This Message

  David Prosser writes

> It struck me that it would encourage life sciences authors to
> self-archive if there was also a link from the PubMed record to the
> self-archived version of the paper.

  I am working on a related project that tries to find the full
  text of papers of papers that are anywhere on the web from the
  title data only. I have a running implementation for computer
  science papers. If this method is succesful (I am at an early
  stage of this work), it could certainly be applied to PubMed
  title data. It would be a cost effective, though not 100%
  guaranteed way to link to the full text.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                      mailto:krichel AT openlib.org
  visiting CO PAH, Novosibirsk   http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                             RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel

Re: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving

From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang AT inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:57:00 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk
      • This Message

A friend of mine wrote a search engine specialized in mathematical
papers.

I  do not have more information, but you can try to reach him at
Stefane Fermigier <sf AT fermigier.com>

Cordialement

Bernard Lang

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:25:25PM -0500, Thomas Krichel wrote:
>   David Prosser writes
>
> > It struck me that it would encourage life sciences authors to
> > self-archive if there was also a link from the PubMed record to the
> > self-archived version of the paper.
>
>   I am working on a related project that tries to find the full
>   text of papers of papers that are anywhere on the web from the
>   title data only. I have a running implementation for computer
>   science papers. If this method is succesful (I am at an early
>   stage of this work), it could certainly be applied to PubMed
>   title data. It would be a cost effective, though not 100%
>   guaranteed way to link to the full text.
>
>   Cheers,
>
>   Thomas Krichel                      mailto:krichel AT openlib.org
>   visiting CO PAH, Novosibirsk   http://openlib.org/home/krichel
>                              RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel

Bernard.Lang AT inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 1 3963 5644
                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX

[BOAI] CRIS2004

From: "David Prosser" <david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:16:46 +0100

Dear All

I wanted to bring to your attention a meeting next May in Antwerp -
CRIS2004.  CRIS stands for Current Research Information Systems and
deals with any 'information tool dedicated to provide access to and
disseminate research information'.  To date, it would appear that a lot
of people who work in this field are interested in research databases,
detailing grants proposals and funding decisions, etc.

However, there may be scope to integrate this work into that being done
in the OAI field.  You could image a system (repository) that contains
information on research projects from the initial grant applications
through the results and pre-prints to the final published research
papers.  It certainly makes sense to see if there are areas of overlap
between CRIS and OAI.  There may be both technological and political
advantages in integrating such systems.

My apologies if this is well-know to you all, but if not the conference
website is at http://www.eurocris.org/conferences/cris2004/index.html

Bets wishes

David

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe

E-mail:  david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk
Tel:       +44 (0) 1865 284 451
Mobile:  +44 (0) 7974 673 888
http://www.sparceurope.org <http://www.sparceurope.org/>

[BOAI] A proposal for evaluating and rewarding the impact of research articles

From: Etienne Joly <atn AT cict.fr>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:11:55 +0200

Threading:      • This Message
             Re: [BOAI] A proposal for evaluating and rewarding the impact of research articles from harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk
             Re: [BOAI] A proposal for evaluating and rewarding the impact of research articles from krichel AT openlib.org

--Apple-Mail-16-539253727

As a strong suporter of the evolution of scientific publishing towards=20=

completely open access to all primary papers, I have spent quite some=20
time trying to think of a system that would be financially viable. For=20=

those of you who are interested, the result of these thoughts is=20
summarized below, and a more complete document can be found on the=20
"Open Access Now" web server ( =20
http://www.biomedcentral.com/openaccess/  )

For the benefit of the scientific community, completely Open Access to=20=

all primary scientific articles is clearly the only way to go. But to=20
ensure the quality of the papers published, it is hard to conceive that=20=

scientific publishing could be carried out by others than money-earning=20=

professionals. The only viable solution is therefore for the publishing=20=

charges to be levied on the authors. This is in fact very much the=20
route followed by the pioneering enterprise launched as Bio Med=20
Central. On the whole, however, authors have very understandably been=20
reluctant to publish their first rate papers in such journals because=20
of negative perceptions and upfront charges for publication.

I believe, however, that it would be possible to set up a system=20
whereby papers would get evaluated for publication solely on their=20
scientific soundness, whilst the best papers would still get recognised=20=

and their authors rewarded for making important contributions. For=20
example I would envisage that the amount charged for the publication of=20=

their manuscript would be inversely related to the scientific impact of=20=

that paper. The ground basis of this proposal is that papers would be=20
rated retroactively, and this rating would provide the authors with a=20
quotable evaluation of their publications that could be used on their=20
CVs or their grant applications.

In this slightly idealistic scheme, the scientists' main concern would=20=

be to produce the best science they can, and to deliver it in the best=20=

and most complete format to fellow scientists, and not to seduce=20
editors and/or referees. Since acceptability would be based on=20
soundness, not on the evaluation of the interest of the results=20
described, the referee's role would be to help produce the best=20
possible articles. And because scientists would be the payers,=20
scientific publishers would have to compete with one another by=20
providing the best possible service at the best prices to the=20
scientific community.

If you want to read more on how I perceive such a system could work,=20
you can find out on the following link:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/openaccess/forum/?letter=3D20030722ej

Cheerio

Etienne Joly

Etienne Joly                            |||||||
(pronounce A.T.N.)                       o   o
CPTP, U563 INSERM,                         |
B=E2timent CNRS,                            \./
CHU Purpan,31300 Toulouse
France
E-mail: atn <atn AT cict.fr>
Phone:(33) 561 15 84 04
Mobile :(33) 662 24 59 91
FAX:  (33) 561 49 90 36             life is a beach
******************************************************=

http://www.biomedcentral.com/openaccess/  )</color>

For the benefit of the scientific community, completely Open Access to
all primary scientific articles is clearly the only way to go. But to
ensure the quality of the papers published, it is hard to conceive
that scientific publishing could be carried out by others than
money-earning professionals. The only viable solution is therefore for
the publishing charges to be levied on the authors. This is in fact
very much the route followed by the pioneering enterprise launched as
Bio Med Central. On the whole, however, authors have very
understandably been reluctant to publish their first rate papers in
such journals because of negative perceptions and upfront charges for
publication.=20

I believe, however, that it would be possible to set up a system
whereby papers would get evaluated for publication solely on their
scientific soundness, whilst the best papers would still get
recognised and their authors rewarded for making important
contributions. For example I would envisage that the amount charged
for the publication of their manuscript would be inversely related to
the scientific impact of that paper. The ground basis of this proposal
is that papers would be rated retroactively, and this rating would
provide the authors with a quotable evaluation of their publications
that could be used on their CVs or their grant applications.=20

In this slightly idealistic scheme, the scientists' main concern would
be to produce the best science they can, and to deliver it in the best
and most complete format to fellow scientists, and not to seduce
editors and/or referees. Since acceptability would be based on
soundness, not on the evaluation of the interest of the results
described, the referee's role would be to help produce the best
possible articles. And because scientists would be the payers,
scientific publishers would have to compete with one another by
providing the best possible service at the best prices to the
scientific community.=20

If you want to read more on how I perceive such a system could work,
you can find out on the following link:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/openaccess/forum/?letter=3D20030722ej

Cheerio

Etienne Joly

</fontfamily>

<fixed><bigger>******************************************************

Etienne Joly                            |||||||

(pronounce A.T.N.)                       o   o

CPTP, U563 INSERM,                         |

B=E2timent CNRS,                            \./

CHU Purpan,31300 Toulouse

France

E-mail: atn <<atn AT cict.fr>

Phone:(33) 561 15 84 04

Mobile :(33) 662 24 59 91

FAX:  (33) 561 49 90 36             life is a beach

******************************************************</bigger></fixed>=

--Apple-Mail-16-539253727--

[BOAI] Accessing ACRL Scholarly Communication principles

From: martin AT skmassociates.net
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 11:05:13 -0700 (PDT)

Please excuse any duplication!

Subscribers to these listservs have received publicity about the
Scholarly Communication Principles recently adopted by the Association
of College and Research Libraries.  Some may be having trouble
accessing the document because of the long URL given in the initial
posting.

There is another way to access the document.  Go to www.ala.org/acrl,
which is of course ACRL's home page.  The announcement of the
principles document is on the home page, with a link directly to the
document.

If you continue to have trouble accessing the document, please let me
know.

Sue Martin
Visiting Program Officer for Scholarly Communication

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 21:34:09 +0100 (BST)

Threading: [BOAI] A proposal for evaluating and rewarding the impact of research articles from atn AT cict.fr
      • This Message
             RE: [BOAI] A proposal for evaluating and rewarding the impact of research articles from Wouter.Gerritsma AT wur.nl

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Etienne Joly wrote:

> http://www.biomedcentral.com/openaccess/forum/?letter=20030722ej

> For the benefit of the scientific community, completely Open Access
> to all primary scientific articles is clearly the only way to go....
> I believe... that it would be possible to set up a system
> whereby papers would get evaluated for publication solely on their
> scientific soundness, whilst the best papers would still get recognised
> and their authors rewarded for making important contributions. For
> example I would envisage that the amount charged for the publication of
> their manuscript would be inversely related to the scientific impact of
> that paper. The ground basis of this proposal is that papers would be
> rated retroactively, and this rating would provide the authors with a
> quotable evaluation of their publications that could be used on their
> CVs or their grant applications.

What the peer-reviewed research literature needs (urgently) today is
to become freely accessible to all of its potential users worldwide,
online, today. This does not call for any tampering with peer review on
the basis of untested (and often very unrealistic) speculations. It only
calls for free online access to the peer-reviewed research literature.

The true cost of *implementing* peer review (referees referee for free),
whatever that cost turns out to be, can and will be paid for in advance,
by the researcher's institution or research-funder, *if and when that
becomes necessary.* At the moment, it is necessary only for
at most five percent (5%) -- http://www.doaj.org/ -- of the 24,000
peer-reviewed
journals (3-4 million annual articles) that exist today:
http://www.ulrichsweb.com/ulrichsweb/analysis/ These 24,000 journals and
their 3-4 million annual articles are what we are talking about freeing
online access *to* here. http://www.ulrichsweb.com/ulrichsweb/analysis/

For the remaining ninety-five percent (95%) of those 24,000 journals
and 3-4 million annual articles, all that is needed in order to make
them freely accessible online today is for their authors to continue to
publish them in the journals of their choice -- as well as to self-archive
them in their own institutional eprint archives.
http://www.nature.com/nature/debates/e-access/Articles/harnad.html#B1

No need to implement any speculative changes whatosever in either peer
review or its funding.

    The Invisible Hand of Peer Review.
    http://www.nature.com/nature/webmatters/invisible/invisible.html

    Peer Review Reform Hypothesis-Testing
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0479.html

    A Note of Caution About "Reforming the System"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/1169.html

the American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01 & 02
& 03):

    http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/september98-forum.html
                            or
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html

Discussion can be posted to: september98-forum AT amsci-forum.amsci.org

Re: [BOAI] A proposal for evaluating and rewarding the impact of research articles

From: Thomas Krichel <krichel AT openlib.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 23:03:39 -0500

Threading: [BOAI] A proposal for evaluating and rewarding the impact of research articles from atn AT cict.fr
      • This Message

  Etienne Joly writes

> But to ensure the quality of the papers published, it is hard to
> conceive that scientific publishing could be carried out by others
> than money-earning professionals. The only viable solution is
> therefore for the publishing charges to be levied on the authors.

  I beg to differ. The cost of academic publishing has  dropped so far
  that it is easy to conceive individuals and departments
  running journals to raise their web exposure and academic reputation.
  The costs can be absorbed by the individual and the institutions.
  There are already many examples for this. It will be a growing
  trend I hope.

  from Moscow, Russia            http://openlib.org/home/krichel

From: "Gerritsma, Wouter" <Wouter.Gerritsma AT wur.nl>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:12:13 +0200

Threading: Re: [BOAI] A proposal for evaluating and rewarding the impact of research articles from harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk
      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: Request for journal/article/field statistics from Ulrichs and ISI from harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk

Dear Stevan,

We ought to get the numbers straight. You used to quote 20,000 peer reviewed
journals, based on Ulrich. Using Ulrichsweb I made a quick check (this
morning), and only found 18,846 refereed active academic/scholarly serials. I
can't see why you increased your quote on the number of serials to 24,000
today, the FAQ your refered to comes with other figures altogether:

Q  What does the "Ulrich's Core" consist of?
The "Ulrich's Core" consists of approximately 50,000 active titles
that represent academic and scholarly journals, refereed serials, titles
reviewed in Katz's Magazines for Libraries, and major consumer and trade
publications.  http://www.ulrichsweb.com/ulrichsweb/analysis/

It is hard to believe that the major consumer and trade publications consist of
more than half of "Ulrich's core"

So how many peer reviewed scholarly publication's are out there?

Is it an important question we have to ask ourselves anyway? I think it is good
to have a yardstick on which we can measure the progress of adopting the open
access model.

Your sincerely

Wouter Gerritsma

Wouter Gerritsma
Information Specialist Plant Library
Wageningen UR Library

e-mail: wouter.gerritsma AT wur.nl

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:59:47 +0100 (BST)

Threading: RE: [BOAI] A proposal for evaluating and rewarding the impact of research articles from Wouter.Gerritsma AT wur.nl
      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: Request for journal/article/field statistics from Ulrichs and ISI from harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk
             [BOAI] Re: Request for journal/article/field statistics from Ulrichs and ISI from harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk

> On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Gerritsma, Wouter wrote:

> We ought to get the numbers straight. You used to quote 20,000 peer
> reviewed journals, based on Ulrich.

Correct. That was the (rounded-off) figure I was given by Ulrich's a few
years ago. The new (exact) figure from Ulrich's is 24,116 (see reply from
Yvette Diven, below). I again rounded it off: 24,000
http://www.ulrichsweb.com/ulrichsweb/analysis/

> Using Ulrichsweb I made a quick check
> (this morning), and only found 18,846 refereed active academic/scholarly
> serials. I can't see why you increased your quote on the number of
> serials to 24,000 today, the FAQ you refered to comes with other
> figures altogether:

There seem to be several different ways of estimating total refereed
journals in Ulrichs. Web queries give one outcome; a direct query to
Ulrich's another. (Perhaps Yvette can clarify?)

> Q  What does the "Ulrich's Core" consist of?
> A  The "Ulrich's Core" consists of approximately 50,000 active
titles
> that represent academic and scholarly journals, refereed serials,
> titles reviewed in Katz's Magazines for Libraries, and major consumer
> and trade publications.  http://www.ulrichsweb.com/ulrichsweb/analysis/

I don't know about "Ulrich's Core" but I think Ulrich's total serials
coverage is closer to 200,000.

A recent reply from Gene Garfield, by the way, refers to
total of about 15,000 refereed *scientific* journals worldwide, of which
ISI indexes about half (the core?).

    GARFIELD:
    "The key to all this is a proper definition of a journal and it
    varies all over the lot. I think 15,000 scientific journals is good
    enough. ISI covers half of these which means that they are covering
    about 75% of the... probably 1.5 million [articles published]
    worldwide"

Garfield also uses 100 articles as his rounded-off estimate of the
average number of articles per journal (ISI's current exact figure
is about 107, and higher for science than for non-science).

That would mean, roughly, 24,000 x 100 = about 2.5 million refereed
articles annually (again rounding off for simplicity).

> It is hard to believe that the major consumer and trade publications
> consist of more than half of "Ulrich's core"

I can't follow any of that. I am interested only in estimating the
total number of refereed journals, both scientific and scholarly.

> So how many peer reviewed scholarly publications are out there?

Somewhere in the vicinity of 24K still sounds right, and about 2.5
million articles annually.

The purpose of soliciting these data was in order to estimate what
proportion of the annual 2.5 million refereed-journal articles is
open-access because it appears in open-access journals, what proportion is
open-access because it is self-archived by its authors, and how quickly
open-access is growing via these two complementary routes:

There are 500 (low-end estimate -- http://www.doaj.org/ ) to 1000
(high-end estimate) open-access journals (i.e., 50,000 to 100,000
articles), so that means at most 5% of the annual refereed literature
of 2.5 million.

For self-archiving, Kat Hagedorn has replied that OAIster's
count for their 2002-dated self-archived full-texts
is already 115,000 (indexing nearly 200 OAI archives)
http://oaister.umdl.umich.edu/o/oaister/viewcolls.html
But this is really only the tip of the iceberg: OAIster does not include
all OAI archives, and even all OAI archives would not include the
much vaster quantity of research full-texts that are self-archived
on authors' ordinary websites rather than in OAI archives. (Citeseer
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs alone harvests at least 50,000 per year
in computer science alone.)

(On the other hand, for our purposes, the OAIster figure does include some
double-counts because it also harvests some of the open-access journals,
and Kat Hagedorn replied that she still has no way of getting separate
counts for journal archives vs institutional archives.)

I am still drawing together the data received in response to my query,
so as to estimate the absolute and relative growth rate for the two
complementary sources of open-access articles (open-access publishing and
open-access self-archiving). The two are, even on the most conservative
estimates, about neck-and-neck at 5% each, but the crucial difference is
that open access through open-access publishing is also at ceiling at 5%
-- its counts can only be increased if more of the 23,000 non-OA journals
convert to OA or more new OA journals are founded and capture the 23,000
non-OA journals' authorships, giving authors more open-access journals to
publish in. The rates at which that is taking place can be extrapolated
too, but they are bound to be slow, because journals are not easy to
found, fill or convert.

In contrast, open-access through self-archiving is nowhere
near its ceiling -- which, even on the most conservative
estimate is at least at 55% currently (and actually much higher)
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/disresearch/romeo/Romeo%20Publisher%20Policies.htm

My guess is that it will be much easier and faster to convince the
research community and its institutions to self-archive than to found,
convert or fill new OA journals. That is why I am trying to correct the
disproportionate hopes that are currently being placed on the 5% solution
(open-access publishing) while missing the potential of the
complementary 55%-95% solution (open-access self-archiving).

> Is it an important question we have to ask ourselves anyway? I think
> it is good to have a yardstick on which we can measure the progress of
> adopting the open access model.

It is indeed an important question and yardstick. Now let us compile and
examine the comparative time-series data and projections that result!

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:15:01 -0400
From: "Diven, Yvette" <yvette.diven AT bowker.com>
To: Stevan Harnad <harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk>

Dear Professor Harnad,

My apologies for the delay in getting this information to you.
Following are active-status refereed serial counts from ulrichsweb.com
as of Thursday, August 28.  (The ulrichsweb.com data is updated weekly
with all of the past week's new and changed records.)  The numbers for
refereed serials include refereed conference proceedings as well as
refereed journals.  The subject headings listed below are the top-level
Ulrich's headings, and the counts for each include the counts for all
of the sub-classifications within those headings. So, for example,
"Biology" includes "Biology (General)", "Biology -
Biochemistry",
"Biology - Bioengineering", "Biology - Microbiology", etc.

I hope that this information is useful to you in your Open Access Journals
research. As Director of Product Development for Serials at Bowker, I
would be thrilled if you could mention in your posted results and analysis
that the numbers are from Ulrich's. We are focused on making Ulrich's a
stronger database to aid serials research, and knowing that Ulrich's is
helping to contribute to a better understanding of the changing serials
environment is gratifying.  We welcome your comments and suggestions as
to the types of additional serials data that you as a researcher would
like to see in Ulrich's.  Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Kind Regards,

- Yvette

COUNTS OF ACTIVE-STATUS REFEREED SERIALS FROM ULRICH'S

TOTAL ALL (900+) ULRICH'S SUBJECTS:  24,116

BIOLOGY -- 2,373
CHEMISTRY -- 708
COMPUTERS -- 636
EARTH SCIENCES -- 713
GERONTOLOGY AND GERIATRICS -- 113
LINGUISTICS -- 640
MATHEMATICS -- 776
MEDICAL SCIENCES -- 4,313
PHARMACY AND PHARMACOLOGY -- 438
PHYSICS -- 660

Yvette Diven
Director, Product Management, Serials
R.R. Bowker LLC
630 Central Avenue
New Providence, NJ 07974
Local Office Phone:  415.861.3080
Email:
Web:  www.ulrichsweb.com

[BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter

From: Peter Suber <peters AT earlham.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 13:55:57 -0400

Threading:      • This Message
             [BOAI] September issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter from peters AT earlham.edu

* Sorry for cross-posting  *

I just mailed the September 4 issue of the SPARC Open Access
Newsletter.  In addition to the usual round-up of news and bibliography
from the past month, it takes a close look at the taxpayer argument for
open access.

September issue
https://mx2.arl.org/Lists/SPARC-OANews/Message/97.html

Subscription info, forum, and archive
http://www.arl.org/sparc/soa/index.html

      Peter

----------
Peter Suber
Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
Author, SPARC Open Access Newsletter
Editor, Open Access News blog
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/
peter.suber AT earlham.edu

[BOAI] Re: Request for journal/article/field statistics from Ulrichs and ISI

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:00:03 +0100 (BST)

Threading: [BOAI] Re: Request for journal/article/field statistics from Ulrichs and ISI from harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk
      • This Message

    [Forwarding reply from Yvette Diven of Bowker's: 24,000 is
    apparently the total number of peer-reviewed journals covered (as
    determined by Ulrich's/Bowker criteria that are not described here)
    and 18,000 is apparently the number that are self-decsribed by the
    publisher as "academic/scholarly". (One wonders what might be the
    subject matter of the 6,000 peer-reviewed journals that are *not*
    self-designated as academic/scholarly: Possibly pure and applied
    research?) -- SH]