Re: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving

From: "hbosc AT tours.inra.fr" <hbosc AT tours.inra.fr>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:20:51 +0200

Threading: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk
      • This Message
             RE: [BOAI] PubMed and self-archiving from dksahu AT vsnl.com

David,

Your idea of linking repositories with PubMed is very interesting.
We have started an Open Archive in our lab. The name of our repository  is
"PhysiologieAnimale" and the few articles (10) that are deposited in
it,
could be retreived by Pubmed. So, I can try to see if it is easy to
activate the PubMed linkout.
I'll give you the result of the experience.

Helene

>It struck me that it would encourage life sciences authors to self-archive
>if there was also a link from the PubMed record to the self-archived
>version of the paper.  It should be possible to use the link out feature
>to add the authors version to the record (see
><http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/linkout/>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/en
>trez/linkout/).  It might even be possible to provide an icon on the main
>record page next to the link to the publisher s version.
>

>I wondered if any repositories are already offering this service to
>authors i.e., if an author deposits their version in the local repository
>the repository will make the PubMed link?  This could be a powerful tool
>for encouraging the life scientist as they know that their version will be
>accessed by anybody who does not have access to the publisher s version.
>

>(Apologies for cross-posting.)
>

>David
>

>David C Prosser PhD
>
>Director
>
>SPARC Europe
>

>E-mail:  <mailto:david.prosser AT bodley.ox.ac.uk>david.prosser AT
bodley.ox.ac.uk

>Tel:       +44 (0) 1865 284 451
>
>Mobile:  +44 (0) 7974 673 888
>
><http://www.sparceurope.org/>http://www.sparceurope.org