Re: [BOAI] Independent open-access Canadian medical journal launches

From: "Prof. Tom Wilson" <t.d.wilson AT sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:02:53 +0100

Threading: [BOAI] Independent open-access Canadian medical journal launches from peters AT earlham.edu
      • This Message

It's good to see a major venture in a key STM discipline which is taking what I
call the 'Platinum Route' to open access :-)  That is, the voluntary,
collaborative, no-charge model that is usually overlooked in the debates on OA.
Usually that debate concerns itself with the choice between author charging and
open archiving - one restricts access to authors, the other is crucially
dependent upon the acquiescence of the commercial publishers.  The only true
open access, which we can perhaps call TOA, is the Platinum Route - more power
to Open Medicine's elbow.

For those who would like reports on other experience of the Platimum Route,
see:
http://informationr.net/ir/12-3/paper308.html,
http://informationr.net/ir/12-2/paper301.html, and
http://informationr.net/ir/11-3/paper255.html

Professor T.D. Wilson, PhD, Hon.PhD
Publisher/Editor in Chief
Information Research
InformationR.net
e-mail: t.d.wilson AT shef.ac.uk
Web site: http://InformationR.net/

Quoting Peter Suber <peters AT earlham.edu>:

> [Forwarding from Open Medicine.  --Peter.]
>

> Open Medicine
> A peer-reviewed, independent, open-access journal.
>
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
>
> CONTACT: Open Medicine
> Lindsay Borthwick, Media Liaison
> +1-416-534-5562; e-mail: <mailto:lindsayborth AT
yahoo.ca>lindsayborth AT yahoo.ca