Re: [BOAI] Re: Cliff Lynch on Institutional Archives

From: "Margaret H. Freeman" <freemamh AT lavc.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:35:42 -0500

Threading: [BOAI] Re: Cliff Lynch on Institutional Archives from harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk
      • This Message
             [BOAI] Re: Cliff Lynch on Institutional Archives from harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk
             Re: [BOAI] Re: Cliff Lynch on Institutional Archives from lqthede AT apk.net
             Re: [BOAI] Re: Cliff Lynch on Institutional Archives from krichel AT openlib.org

On 3/16/03 9:15 AM, "Stevan Harnad" <harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk>
wrote:

> The bottom line is this: The free
> Eprints.org software (for example) can be installed within a few days. It
> can then be replicated to handle all the departmental or research group
> archives a university wants, with minimal maintenance time or costs. The
> rest is just down to self-archiving, which takes a few minutes for the
> first paper, and even less time for subsequent papers (as the repeating
> metadata -- author, institution, etc., can be "cloned" into each
new
> deposit template). An institution may wish to impose an institutional
> "look" on all of its separate eprints archives; but apart from
that,
> they can be as autonomous and as distributed and as many as desired:
> OAI-interoperability works locally just as well as it does globally.

I'd like to ask Stevan Harnad what arrangements can be made for publishing
faculty and independent scholars who don't have the kind of institutional
connections like a major research university for making their work OAI
accessible without having to create personal websites. Is there some
distributed depository that is or could be made available to them?

Margaret Freeman
Emeritus Professor
Los Angeles Valley College